Curing bacterial infections

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Curing bacterial infections

Post by Icthician »

Could someone point me in the direction where I could find out more information about bacterial infections that affect Corydoras?

Thanks
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

How are they affected?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Francine,
Look for a product made by Jungle Products called "BINOX." This stuff treats gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections. It is a very powerful drug, however, so I would only use it as a last resort when you think the fish are goners. Light outbreaks can be treated with Melafix.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Post by Icthician »

Marc van Arc, the fish displayed areas of white slime, circular in configuration on their bodies. The fins had white areas that were flat; not like the puffy fungus. Some of them had red areas on the top of the gill plate, breathing fast....generally lathargic.

Although at times they would swim in groups from one end of the tank to the other. Whatever it was did not affect the other species of loricaridae and apistos.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Pls do as Shane says, it sounds very familiar with bacterial diseases some of my fish used to have. I used a medicin which was originally for cats & dogs (no fish!), but then someone found out that is was great against bacterial diseases on fish as well. It was only obtainable from the vet. I forgot however that these medicins have all kind of different names, but perhaps Ceporex does ring a bell??
Anyway, don't wait too long. If you can point the goners out, even a good medicine is not able to recover them.
Good luck.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”