Eating the Plants

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bowsa
Location 1: Macclesfield, England
Interests: Fish, Football, Redwine and Whiskey

Eating the Plants

Post by Bowsa »

Alright I admit it, I need help. The tank I'm having problems in is 120 litre, and has two Hoplo's, two King Tigers, a small bristlenose and 3 Angel Fish. No matter what plants I try the fish just can't resist quoffing them. I've concidered that I don't feed them enough but this week they left the lettice and cucumber and noshed away during the night another couple of leaves off me plants.

Please don't ask me the name of the plants I've got,no idea. The one's I've resorted to are the "thickest, rubberiest, waxy looking" leaves going. I really don't want to use artificial plants, so any advice would be much appreciated. A photo of the most appropriate plants would be even better..or do I just resort to rocks!!!

It's first time I've posted a question, so this sort of question is ok.

Thanks
Ian
Dr.UltraScarlet
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: molecular biology, spirituality and women

Plants

Post by Dr.UltraScarlet »

Well sounds like you got to throw yourself into learning names of plants, so here is two that Ive had alot of succes with the first and the best is anubias, little stubborn plant all excepts panaque should leave that alone another one is Java ferns! Try them out, but remember dont plant the anubias roots in the gravel tie them to a root or a rock, otherwise they will eventually rot.

Yeah and I don´t know what a hoplo is?

Best luck
Bowsa
Location 1: Macclesfield, England
Interests: Fish, Football, Redwine and Whiskey

Post by Bowsa »

Thanks for that, all advice appreciated.

The Hoplo's are what our shops have as Hoplosternum thacarum, but this website have them as Megalechis personata. (Sorry don't know how to add the direct link to the website page.)

Lovely friendly fish, even with much smaller fish, fins not included the pair I have are about 10cm. If anything just a little boisterous for the Angel Fish, active most off the day.
Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”