Please help identify otocinclus species

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
fmueller
Location 1: Kent, OH
Location 2: Kent, OH, USA
Interests: Visit www.fmueller.com to find out!

Please help identify otocinclus species

Post by fmueller »

I recently got 6 of these little guys at my LFS, and they are the focal point of my 29G tank, but unfortunately I still don't know exactly what they are. Still working on my camera setup, and couldn't use a flash yet, but I hope the photos will be sufficient for an ID.

ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

otocinclus vittatus
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
olway
Location 1: UK

Post by olway »

considering you have figured out your camera yet those are great closeups!
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Many thanks for the responses. So the verdict on vittatus is unanimous? :lol:

Regarding the camera, I had it since the mid 80's, so I guess I should have it pretty much figured out by now ;-) Just missing a cable to take the flash off camera, which I believe is crucial for good aquarium shots.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

There is no way to be sure of the species without cutting it open :-) The caudal spot is helpful in IDing, but I don't have the paper that explains which markings correspond to which species on hand at the moment. The husbandry requirements for all the brown otos with tail spot are identical though, so determining the species is just academic.

Rusty
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Well, if one thing's for sure, my otos are not going to be cut open. Guess I'll call them vittatus, and if they don't like it, it's up to them to correct me ;-)

Return to “What is my catfish?”