L114 compatibility

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
westwood8183
Location 1: Wisconsin, USA

L114 compatibility

Post by westwood8183 »

Hi, I am thinking of getting an L114 from my lfs but he/she is still very small, under 2" probably. Would it be possible to temporarily house him in a 20 gallon tank with an L260 queen arabesque until he gained some size? I am planning on keeping him in my 55 gallon eventually but I do have some larger fish in the tank and I wouldn't want anything to happen to the L114 at this small size. I have read conflicting information about how agressive they are towards other plecos so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would not want to buy him if I am not able to provide a proper home for him, and I also do not want to risk the health of my queen if the L114 is going to be overly aggressive. Thanks. :wink:
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

HI!

Even a 55 gallons tank is small for a 12in adult fish, and especially considering that Pseudacanthicus are pretty territorial...

For a 55 gallons tanlk I wouldn't house any fish that is bigger than 6in long...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Dr.UltraScarlet
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: molecular biology, spirituality and women

Post by Dr.UltraScarlet »

Yeah if you decide to get it. You should know that in a coupple of years you might have to let it go to a new and bigger home :) unless your the bonzai fishkeeper type :(
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

i bought one a week ago hes only a couple of inches hes in my 44 gallon what size do they start getting territorial and how long do they take to grow, i am planning a bigger tank for him when hes bigger and wonder what other fish he will get along with.
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

THey start to get really territorial once they are sexually mature

But even young specimens that I saw where really territorial especially when housed in too small tanks

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Dr.UltraScarlet
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: molecular biology, spirituality and women

L114

Post by Dr.UltraScarlet »

I have heard that pseudacanticus can be very territorial, but each animals have a good place to hide(tubes) help, otherwise they can hurt eachother bad when you sleep!. Plus ofcourse enough to eat, Im planing to try to have several in a 530 L tank only for them, no others fishes. Im still waiting for my L-25 order.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”