eupterus: adding a new and smaller eupterus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
barbara
Location 1: Maine, USA
Interests: fish, cats, meditation

eupterus: adding a new and smaller eupterus

Post by barbara »

In a 70G tank I have had a eupterus for a year or so...it has gotten quite HUGE. After reading here that they can be sociable but also perhaps territorial I am wondering about how to add a new tankmate: a eupterus who is about half the size of the current one.

Nearly all the other fish are removed from the tank...there are two mollie adults, and a couple of fry and that is all other than the big eupterus. There are lots of vals...three major clumps in the tank with the eupterus' main hangout now near the middle and back of the tank in a "corner" that i constructed for him/her of two tall and thin pieces of slate....with the middle clump of vals all around. Each end of the tank has a couple of good sized rocks with clay trays over them for hiding as well although currently the eupterus doesn't seem to go there. There are vals backing up these two areas as well.

In the Q tank where the NEW eupterus is located, there is a similar rock/clay tray setup and also a large PVC tube. no plants. THIS eupterus hangs out in these two places. I was thinking of moving THEM and him/her at once into the 70 but wonder about two things....

first, what is the best time of day to add him....day or night?....i'm thinking that maybe the daytime which is both of their LEAST active times might be best but don't really know.

second, is it important to change the arrangement in the tank so that BOTH fish need to establish new territories or is it fine to keep the current setup and add the "familar" cave and PVC tube.

also if there are any other things i should consider, i would appreciate knowing. I should make this move in the next few days.

thanks for any help, ideas, thoughts.

barbara
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. S. eupterus is not very territorial or aggressive, and it sounds like you have a fine set-up and adequate space. Adding it during the day so that you have a chance to keep an eye on it when first introduced is probably the best way to go.

Dinyar
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

It's never a bad idea to rearrainge the funishing in tank as you add a new occupant. Particularly with more aggressive fish. Dinyar is correct that S. eupterus are not too bad in terms of aggression but just to be sure, I'd move things around a bit at the same time. Make sure both fish have a couple of caves/rockpiles to hide in if needed.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
barbara

dinyar and paul

Post by barbara »

thanks! to both of you. i'll do the transfer during the day. glad to hear that they aren't THAT aggressive....i WAS inspired by the idea of them appreciating another one or maybe two given the size of the tank....i think when i posted here last, three was suggested as the limit for a 70G.

with loaches it is suggested to have at least three, but given the size of the eupterus and the "small" size of this aquarium, i wonder if two will be ok....as my mother says: time will tell. LOL

Perhaps the addition of the familiar setup will help the new eupterus, and if there are issues during the day, I can do a quick remodeling. there already are two unused "caves" so I think there is adequate hiding room...well, we shall see. : )

again, thanks.

barbara
Doc_Piscis
Location 1: Southwest Virginia, USA
Interests: Pets (fish & dogs), Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking, Scuba Diving & NYC

Post by Doc_Piscis »

I put a juvi eupt. in with an established large eupt and they are fine with each other! No problems at all.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Thanks! I did add the younger one yesterday. They appear to either ignore each other or get along. The new addition was, in fact, at one point in the headquarters of the large original eupterus and the large one was just in front of that area hanging in the vals as it likes to do....they seem to find their own spots to hang (literally) in.

I'm quite amazed (and happy) that it seems to have gone so well. the newer and younger one seems much more outgoing and explores more while the older one is more timid and has its routines established i suppose. The older one also arrived in rather rough condition (when i first got it quite awhile ago) and had to have minor surgery on exposed fin rays (two of them)...today you'd never know it.....in fact the dorsal has the longest whip-like extension that i have seen (of course i haven't seen any large ones other than those photographed here). I'd love to get a photo of it as it really is a beauty but it rarely is out and about when the lights are on...only quick dashes here and there and even those are rare.

Return to “African Catfishes”