Tigrinus cat with bagarius rutilus?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tyty13
Location 2: North carolina

Tigrinus cat with bagarius rutilus?

Post by Tyty13 »

I'm treating myself to a bigger tank and I really have my heart set on a tigrinus cat. I have a 'dwarf goonch' (bagarius rutilus I believe), and a Lima shovelnose cat. Now before any one says anything about the Goonch, it is important to take on a few bits of info. The one I have is as small as they get. He shows no signs of aggression towards my Lima that is nearly the same size as him. He doesn't even eat feeders that are 1/4 his size after being starved for 5 days! From what I've gathered from several other Goonch owners who have the same species as I they are a slow grower like the Tig. My main concern would actually be how the Lima and Tig get along. The Tig would take the Limas place as the Goonches tank mate after my next tank is set up. I know the Tig would like the water setup I have with the goonch; oversized filter with a power head to keep the water churning. Am I crazy to even consider this or could this work?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Tigrinus cat with bagarius rutilus?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

As long as no one fits in anyone's mouth, I think tig + dwarf goonch could work, except that the goonch may prefer a cooler water than a tig does but one needs to do some serious digging in this regard.

As for the LSN: if it can fit girth-wise into any predatory tank mate's mouth, it is a risk/time bomb. I understand you say it's been ok. This could simply become the case of later rather than sooner, that's all. There is a chance nothing will happen, sure, according to the definition of risk. There is a good chance something will.
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 14 Nov 2013, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

can anyone remind me....ddn't Silurus post something previously about the lifespan of bagarius where they actually dont live as long as you'd expect, therefore big specimens were relatively young, indicating rapid growth (in the wild)
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I am sure, Richard, you have seen this recent thread on OP's goonch http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 33#p269856

IDK much at all about goonches. Hope Chicxulub will correct me but I think this is the one that does not exceed 8"-12", for whatever reason. IDK if this is in captivity or in the wild or both. I surely could be wrong too.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... us#p215084

In this thread above, Silurus indicates that literature he's seen shows yarelli get to only 8 years old in the wild - therefore not sure rutilus is comparable?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

AFAIU, HH and Rob and others vested in goonches, say there is no telling - the genus needs much work. Neither Rob nor Tyty can say theirs is a rutilus, it is their best guess that theirs are rutilus. As to if it was a rutilus, what would it grow to and how fast, these are the questions lacking clear understanding and answers.

Again, such is my vague impression, a man who has never kept a goonch, who gets a twitch eye when someone says goonch, who is utterly unaware of any (large) goonch in captivity of considerable size (say 3'+), who cannot tell one species from another, etc.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”