New L264 Sultan with sunken belly

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taz
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Winchester, UK

New L264 Sultan with sunken belly

Post by Taz »

Hi,

My wife bought me an L264 yesterday which is nice, unfortunately it has got such a sunken belly that normally I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. On the bright side the eyes aren't sunken so I'm hopeful it was just starved at the shop. He's about 4cm SL.

It's in a quarantine tank at the moment and last night I put in an algae wafer, some cucumber and a small prawn to encourage it to eat but it doesn't look like it's touched them.

Anyone got any recommendations of other food to try and tempt it with? I'd like to be patient with him but I'm just worried that I might run out of time...

Taz
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: New L264 Sultan with sunken belly

Post by MatsP »

My L. triactis are very fond of mussels (frozen ones from Tescos - other shops are available).

--
Mats
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

What about something with garlic extract? Supposedly garlic is an appetite stimulant. Here in the US, New Life Spectrum sells food with garlic in it. You could try rubbing raw garlic on food, or soaking the food in garlic extract?
plecomanpat
My cats species list: 71 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 17 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Clarkston, Michigan, USA
Location 2: clarkston michigan
Interests: Hunting, fishing, hockey, woodworking

Post by plecomanpat »

whenever i have fish in quarrentine(sick or new aquisition) I primarily use "new life SPECTRUM THERA +A. It has garlic in it along with many other greens and even some fruit extracts. I swear by it enough to feed it twice a week to all my tanks and its great to help with parasitic ifestations too. My plecos"come out of the woodwork for it".
Lets go Red Wings
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

I have soaked food in seachems garlic guard for finicky newbies and also had good luck with NLS Finicky granuels that have garlic.

Also something on here saved my rubernoses. The part on the painting the rock info under feeding written by Mats. scroll down

Feeding pl*cos Part I

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=294

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”