Biotopo help

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Luis.Ventura
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Lisboa-Portugal

Biotopo help

Post by Luis.Ventura »

Good morning everyone,
Finally I was able to grab some dianema urostriatum, i am trying to build a biotopo tank for them but i can´t find any pics of "Manaus river".

either way what I had in mind was to make a planted tank whit a tall carpet plant (echinodorus quadricostatus) whit some caves hidden in the middle of the "grass", red more wood in a corner and floating plants.

what do you guys think?

Ps: it would be to breed them (trying to) and it would be a species tank beside a shoal of corydoras pigmaeus.
Always Learning.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 889
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 422
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Biotopo help

Post by Silurus »

I don't think a biotope for Dianema should use the Rio Negro at Manaus as a model. This is a very large river after all.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Not to mention that the distribution of this fish is "The Amazon basin", so it just so happens that THE SINGLE FISH that is the HOLOTYPE ("the fish used as typical for this species") is from Manaus.

The Type Location is where the holotype fish comes from - this is not at all necessarily a "typical place where this fish lives" - it is just a record of where the particular fish that is the holotype fish came from. In some cases, this is "fish market in <someplace>". Clearly, the fish doesn't live on the fishmarket, it's just that the scientist got the particular fish that is the type specimen for this species at the fish market. In this case, the fish may well have been captured quite some distance away from the fish-market!

--
Mats
Luis.Ventura
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Lisboa-Portugal

Post by Luis.Ventura »

hmmm I get it.
so what do you suggest for Dianema? would a carpet planted tank be suited? whit lots of cover ofc
and can you tell me where after all they come from?
Always Learning.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't know what habitat they come from - I suspect it may be fairly well covered and high in plants, but I don't know for sure. They don't seem to like a lot of light - hiding most of the time.

As they are wide-spread with regards to distribution, I expect they live in a particular type of habitat over a large area.

--
Mats
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I once got a large group of them, 10 I think, and they were not very shy. However, I must have done something wrong, because the group got smaller and smaller - and the Dianema got progressively shy

Assuming they live in large schools, they might need a lot of company
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”