Can albino corys produce bronze fry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corycrazy
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Bristol UK

Can albino corys produce bronze fry?

Post by corycrazy »

Is it possible for albinos to produce bronze fry? - my latest batch has albino fry and darker color fry...

I just wondered can albinos carry the bronze gene if they originally came from bronze parents further back down the line??

She has definately been with the albino male.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Can albino corys produce bronze fry?

Post by MatsP »

If they follow the usual genetic logic for albinism, no. But it's possible that:
1. There is some sort of mutation that puts it back to "working with colours".
2. That the two albino fish (male & female) are "albino in different ways" (that is, it's possible to have a mutation in one fish that stops colour being produced, and a DIFFERENT mutation in the other fish that also stops colour being produced - I believe in humans there are several different forms of "albino" that are produced by different genes).

But in all of that possibility, I find it rather unlikely that it's either of these. Are you sure it's not some OTHER fish that has spawned in the same tank?

--
Mats
corycrazy
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Bristol UK

Re: Can albino corys produce bronze fry?

Post by corycrazy »

The trilineatus & pandas have been spawning also,but i know where the tri's lay their eggs,and panda eggs are larger and take longer to hatch.so i can rule out both really.
The tri's never lay in bulk,maybe 8 or 9 dotted around the bottom of the tank,very rarily do they lay on the glass.

I was watching the albino female laying these eggs after the T position with the albino male,because i saved them just after,so it will interesting to see what the fry look like in a few weeks.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”