Tough catfish for rough tankmates

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Tough catfish for rough tankmates

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

I currently have my 100g (360x45x45cm) set up as an as and Asian-themed tank and it houses several aggressive Botias including;

4 - Yasuhikotakia modesta (yellowfin)
2 - Yasuhikotakia lecontei
1 - Yasuhikotakia eos
2 - Syncrossus berdmorei
1 - Syncrossus helodes

Obviously the Y.modesta & S.helodes won't be in this "small" tank forever, but the other species are fully intended to be permanent residents of it. So what I'm wondering is, are there ANY catfish other than that could handle the aggression of these fish, or will the only catfish resident of these tank be my old ?

Horabagrus & other Mystus species have been complete failures so far..
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Re: Tough catfish for rough tankmates

Post by drpleco »

pleco-wise, what about leporacanthicus/pseudacanhicus species? They're pretty spikey and tough.

Otherwise, would a syno eupterus make it in there? I had one in my mbuna setup and he did great before I swapped him for the multies.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Personally, I would add only Asian catfishes, but but I can not mention anyone in particular

I do wonder,though, is Yasuhikotakia lecontei and Yasuhikotakia eos a good combination? I would assume they would consider each other conspecific

nice tank, BTW
cats have whiskers
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

You might consider .
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Thanks for the input guys, but I guess I should've made it more clear that I really am seeking Asian catfish to complete this tank!

Yes there's a pleco, but he gets picked-on by my Hypostomus ssp. (don't ask me how he manages w/ the Botias), and he -sortof- fits the theme since Pterygoplichthys run rampant in SE Asia....hehe -But this may turn out to be temporary if I can arrange better quarters for this old fella..

Bas Pels- Thanks for the kind words, I'm quite proud of my Botias! You'd be right to assume there's tension between the Yasuhikotakia ssp. though, but the sun loach pretty much sticks to his hollow driftwood & leaves everyone alone if they don't stray near it's entrance. They all eat well and suffer suffer little fin damage due to the number of hiding places & similar loaches, to the point that the Y.modesta are growing at an incredible rate....but all 9 of those will be together w/ the S.helodes in a 300g tub once they all reach about 5" or more.

Chrysichthys- I'd be ALL OVER THAT if there was a dwarf version that didn't get bigger than about 10". ;)

Now I really do like M.leucophasis, but I've kept these before and I'm just hoping there's something else available from Asia that could fit the bill is all....but I wouldn't be TOO disappointed if that was my only choice though!

Return to “Asian Catfishes”