All Lemon Yellow L200!!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
puertoayacucho
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: SLC, Utah
Location 2: USA

All Lemon Yellow L200!!!!

Post by puertoayacucho »

Merry Christmas to all and to all a colorful question.

It has to do with one my L200. I have a 135G with several Orinoco and Amazon species. Among them a group of four L200.

It was about a month ago that I noticed one of the L200 showed up with what seemed to be a total loss of his green overcast and spotting pattern and was sporting a completely solid and very bright lemon yellow outfit. I did not have a camera to take a pic.

Some sort of pigmentation affection took place. All other L200's were unaffected.

Appetite and general behavior of the individual were likewise unaffected.

At this point, the specimen has slowly regained his normal coloration, though not quite there yet.

Would appreciate any insights on the matter.

Tank parameters are pH 5.0 to 5.5, TDS +/- 60, 84F.

Feeding: Live Blackworms, frozen bloodworms, frozen mosquito larvae, frozen spirulina enhanced brine shrimp, Hikari Algae Wafers.

Filtration: Two E-2217 with peat filtration layer, 55W UV, supplemental powerhead for water aeration/circulation.

Thnx,

Ed
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

I dont know why some species loose their colours or change colour suddenly, I have seen species with a totally black colouration turned up to an albino variant the next day except for the eyes that still have the natural colour. They stay for a long time in this new colourform and it looks a little weird, they are not sick at least not visible and leaving the fishkeeper thinking how the heck did they do that?
Some turns back to normal after few weeks but others take half year or a year before looking normal again, maybe a few never get back to normal colours.

It's a very interesting question, and so far there are much speculations but I have not read any exactly answers for what is happen...I would love to know exactly why this happen with a few plecos.

Janne
puertoayacucho

Post by puertoayacucho »

Hi Janne, from black to albino that's really 180 degrees. I really wish I would have had a camera at the time of the change in color of my L200 - I would compare his yellow coloration to that of a Yellow Tang, or as bright as this > :P emoticon. I got a digicam for my wife this Christmas and will try to document interesting things in my tanks as of now.

Additionally, I just wanted to add as a note that this specific L200 is about 3 inches long, which I think allows me to discard the possibility that the color change may be sex/breeding related.

Ed
Matien
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Danjoutin (90), France
Location 2: Danjoutin (90), France

Post by Matien »

Hi,

That is interesting.
The funny thing is that usually L200 become darker with their stress patern. And up to now, as far I know, there is no relation between colour and sex for these fishes.

A couple of pictures would be nice to have to may be find a beginning of explaination.

I have a tank with 7 L200 (hémiancistrus), 2 of them are yellower, but this colour remains constant in time (I have them for 2 years now)

See you
Matien
puertoayacucho

Post by puertoayacucho »

Hi Matien. Unfortunately, now that I have a camera, the fish has recovered about 80% of its normal color pattern. When it was bright yellow, I did not have a camera.

Like I said I noticed the color change about a month ago, maybe 6 weeks, and it has gradually recovered the normal bright olive green and spotted pattern.

I have had these fish for about six months and the others, have not showed any color change.

Ed

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”