Saw an interesting documentary on itv3

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
david
Location 1: dundee scotland
Interests: football,water polo

Saw an interesting documentary on itv3

Post by david »

Hi Guys

I couldent sleep yesterday morning so i got up and put it on itv3 and there was a documentary on called fish people go Piranhas about tropical fish aquarists collecting fish in the brazilian amazon. There was Conflict on the trip between Dr David Sands and the editor of Aquarist and pondkeeper magazine a man called derek. This conflict came about because a few years ago David sands found a new species of cory catfish and he smuggled it out of Brazil and gave it to a liverpool university and had it named after himself which this derek didnt like and said it was wrong. There was rumours sands was going to get arrested if he ever stepped foot in brazil again but that didnt happen. More conflict came about when Oliver Lucanas(sp?) from belowwater joined them on the trip and him and Derek kept calling sands Dr Dolittle. They found some amazing fish including a gravid stingray and they were snorkelling inches away from a school of angelfish really good documentary and highly recommended.:)

David
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Post by Shaun »

Have heard about this documentary, but never managed to see it. Heard about some of the controversy as well.
I think Derek in the doco would be Derek Lambert? He passed away a couple of years ago :cry:
Shaun
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If you ever get the chance, ask Oliver about the experience (from a safe distance). Wish they'd ask me on this kind of jaunt!

Jools
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

sound like a good trip, fish and kick off's. Anyone know where i can get a copy of it?

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Wish they'd ask me on this kind of jaunt!
No you don't. You would rather be with Whitepine and I sipping cold ones in Tabatinga.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote:
Wish they'd ask me on this kind of jaunt!
No you don't. You would rather be with Whitepine and I sipping cold ones in Tabatinga.
-Shane
Absolutely, but what I meant was I wish someone would pay me to go do it my (our our) way.

Jools

Return to “Speak Easy”