why did L-66 die?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
thecichlidpleco
Location 1: Toledo

why did L-66 die?

Post by thecichlidpleco »

I added some cichlids to my 45 gallon tank, and I noticed that my king tiger was not around the tank. Well, later in the day I found him in the back, not suctioned to the side or rocks but kind of floating. I thought he was dead, so I had to reach in the tank behind the rocks to grab him and when I did he moved around a little bit to let me know he was still alive. I tried to feed him some bloodworms, but would not take, then the frontosa i recently got started biting his fins. So I moved him to a 37 gallon where he died minutes later. What happened? Do new fish cause that much stress on them? Are frontosa known for attacking plecos? Answers please.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

First, let me say that I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, post mortem analyzis requires understanding of more than what info you've given so far.

What was/is the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia values for the 37g/45gtank?
Also pH, hardness (GH/KH) and temperature for both tanks?
What are ALL the inhabitants of the two tanks (species, numbers and sizes)?

As a guess, I would say that the fish didn't get enough oxygen in the original tank, probably due to nitrite poisoning, and when you moved it, it was already weak, so the shock of moving it (and possible water condition differences) was the final straw. But your answers to the above questions would possibly invalidate my guess.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”