Sloughing off of slime coat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Wildfish
Location 1: United States

Sloughing off of slime coat?

Post by Wildfish »

Has anyone experienced this with a Red Tail Cat? I noticed it the other day, just a slight sloughing off of some areas of the skin. I've been doing daily partial water changes to ward off any accumulated ammonia levels. The cats color and activity are good, he is eating well, too well. And I am a culprit of overfeeding. It is possible an ammonia spike may have occurred, however, how long will the sloughing off process take place? I have the cat in a 90 gal tank with 3 other small fish, it is also a planted tank to help with the nitrates. Any suggestions? Thanks.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Ok, so my first question is:
What are the ammonia levels, also nitrite and nitrate levels?

Generally, muccus/slime on the body of any fish is an indication that something isn't quite right with the water quality.

Plants take up nitrate, but you need some pretty fast-growing plants to make any noticable dent in the nitrate levels.

Is this a newly set up tank, or has it been running for some time?

Also, what size is this fish - and more importantly, were are you going to dispose of it when you're no longer able to house it? I suspect you don't have a 10' x 10' x 20' heated pond... :-(

--
Mats
Wildfish

Post by Wildfish »

I suspect there may have been an ammonia spike. Used to have a big fancy test kit, unfortunately, lent it out and never got it back. This is a long established tank planted with italian val which have spread along the entire sandy substrate. The mucous problem has abated. I believe I was simply overfeeding as it is sometimes irresistable to not feed "a little more" to such a eager and interesting fish. This fish is housed in a 90 gal tank and I would say he is approx 5-6 inches. There are 3 small cyprichromis in the tank as well and a small bushynose pleco. As to the 10X10X20 pond, there is a very interesting indoor pond at a local fish store here. It has glass sides and is of a geometric shape. They house two large red-tails in it and they look very attractive from arial and side views.
Perhaps when the time comes i'll transfer this guy to a 125 gal and then work on the pond.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

I can't say anything about an RTC, but I've seen Limas and Tigershovels do it quite regularly. They shed it more or less in one piece and eat it. I wouldn't worry too much about it; I believe it comes with the fish and has little to do with water quality.
CFC
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: London, England
Interests: Angling, cookery, predatory fish

Post by CFC »

I agree with the shedding being a normal part of life for limas, i have 3 ranging between 14 and 10 inches and while the two smaller ones still seem to shed around once a month i havent seen the larger one do it for some time so its probably linked to growth.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
Wildfish

Post by Wildfish »

Interesting you should note that your cat eats his shedded slime coat. Mine didn't as it sloughed off in small bits, however, the Cyprichromis did. I figured it must contain some protein content or nutritious element. Secondly, I could have sworn that my cats head coloration appeared a lighter dappled grayish after the shed. Anyway, I have cut back a bit on the amount of food given at feeding and the sloughing has resolved itself for now. If it is a feature of growth, I won't be as alarmed if it happens again in the future. Thank you for your replies.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

You probably need to move the Cyprichromis and the Ancistrus out ASAP, as they will end up on the menu in short order (and it could conceivably choke if it tries to eat the Ancistrus, depending on size). The Cyprichromis are also unlikely to enjoy the same water parameters that the RTC would prefer, and if it vomits for any reason the fluctuations in water quality would also be bad for the Tanganyikan Cichlids.
Regradless of the current size of the Catfish, you need to be planning its final housing now. Building a pond or tank of the size required takes significant time and resources (and research with other aquarists), once it outgrows the 90 gallon it will very quickly be too large for a 125.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

See THIS POST as if properly cared for you catfish should be this size in just a couple years.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Wildfish

Post by Wildfish »

I have read about cats vomiting. Is this a result of overeating? And yes, I understand this can dramatically affect water quality for the entire tank. I am guilty of breaking several Cardinal Rules of Fishkeeping. I was aware the RTC is not an aquarium species long before I aquired this one. I've just admired them for so long I experienced a weak moment one day at my favorite fish store and spied Whiskers over there...it is one of those difficult and unfair situations: as long as people buy unsuitable fish for aquarium environments they will continue to be imported. There are many marine specimens I have drooled over but never attempted to purchase as well. At least with a fresh water species, an indoor pond or temporary large tub situation is not too difficult or far fetched. The only problem with tubs or ponds is the current of the surface water makes it difficult to admire your pet. I have enjoyed and appreciated all your comments.
aquaholic
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia
Interests: Catfish, tankbusters and cichlids

Post by aquaholic »

I use an above ground wading pool - 3m diameter x 1m depth (for only about AUD$200) with a powerhead driven bucket filter into an overhead trickle. Approx 10 tonne of water which takes 7 hours to fill :( Luckily I have a sizeable fish room/shed so several of these are easy to setup. RTC are quite tame and feed out of your hands with some training (unsure who is training who) and a pool view is quite nice when your fish allow you to rub their stomachs.
Wildfish

Post by Wildfish »

It is quite obvious that an aquarium is out of the question for a mature RTC. Above ground tubs seem to be an easy affordable remedy. Here in the U.S. there are hardware stores that sell pre-fabricated pond liners that make building a pond very easy. Indoor applications are available as well, and so very much more inexpensive than contemplating how to utilize an aquarium even if one of a appropriate size was available. I can't wait to set up an indoor pond :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”