HELP!!! Merodontotus Tigrinus PH problem!!!???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Blackwater
Location 1: Michigan

HELP!!! Merodontotus Tigrinus PH problem!!!???

Post by Blackwater »

I really need some expert advice!! I have a 5" Tig coming Friday from Shark Aquarium. The PH of the tank at SA is 6.8, mine run at 8.0. I think that over time a Tig could acclimate to 7.5-8.0 but I don't want there to be that big of a swing when he arrives. I use RO/DI water and it comes out to 8.0 with a KH of 4-5 which I consider stable. I'm having trouble figuring out how to maintain a stable KH at 4-5 while using PH lowering products?? It seems like a excercise in futility! I need advice on how to handle the acclimation of this fish being shipped from Jersey to Michigan and how to deal with the PH differences? Experts please help me out!!!!
characinkid
I've donated: $29.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:4)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:3, p:202)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

Hi

What every ph you have, I would suggest the drip method of introduction for any fish. I learnt this a fdew years ago from the stringray guys and it is great.

What you need to do is open the box and bag when the fish arrives and then get a piece of airline tube. Tie a small knot in the airline and then start a siphon so that the water drips into the bag. I have been doing about 1 drip/second. I leave this going for approx 30 minutes and then take out some of the water from the bag. I let this conintue for about 1 1/2 hours, continually removing the water as it fills up. In this way the change is slow and gradual. It will be equalizing the temp, ph etc.
After about 1 1/2 it should be 100% tank water and you can then put the bag in the tank and let the fish go. In this way the fish it stressed very little.

I have been using this method on big and small fish and it has been working really well.
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I second this method, I've used airhoses as well to mix water when fish came from very different water.

it's a proven method and it works fine.

you can add a few drops of aquasafe (tonic) in the bucket or bag with your tigrinus; this will boost the mucus layer on the skin and helps the fish.

just a few drops is plenty, mind!
Valar Morghulis
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

yup the drip acclimation is the best way to go. A pH of 8.0 is pretty high for a tigrinus...im not saying it won't work, but that is pretty hard water.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”