catfish acting wild! ~~spearheading guppies~~

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
beaches4me
Location 1: VA

catfish acting wild! ~~spearheading guppies~~

Post by beaches4me »

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. My cory catfish seem to be really active sometimes and at times they seem to startle easily (like if I were to look over in the tank they go all crazy back and forth)...only when they do they seem to blindly swim around, fast running into some of my guppies knocking them totally out...literally...at times killing them. I am so worried that something is up or maybe it is normal?

Also I have read about sexing the cory's. I 'think' I have 2 males and a female but have no idea how old they are and what causes them to mate or spawn. I have read a lot on them but reading too much sometimes I think confuses ...at least me....any highlights on making things optimal for my cory's so I might end up with cory fry someday??

Thanks so much for any and all of your help!!!

~~~~love my albino cory's!!!~~~
chef
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: stafford england
Interests: corydoras breeding etc

Post by chef »

just had the same thing happen with some aspidoras when they were getting ready to spawn(woud'nt belive if i had'nt seen it).Took out some livebearers and some other aspidoras, could possibly be a territorial thing but not sure.
beaches4me
Location 1: VA

thanks!

Post by beaches4me »

Thanks for that advice. It might just be that it is a territorial thing I did not think of that. I bought some extra goodies today and am going to be putting in some more plant life and 'hiding' places so it might help them both feel comfortable in the same tank (I don't have anywhere to put my other fishies for right now). Thanks!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”