Hmm... what is he?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
chibi
Location 1: Baltimore, MD, USA

Hmm... what is he?

Post by chibi »

I have this catfish that my brother bought from a local fish store. I can't remember what it was called and was wondering if anyone could help. It is about 4 inches long, has atleast 3 pairs of barbels, its fins are raggedy and sharp to the point where you can't pick it up with a mesh net, and it is light brown with darker brown large polka dots covering its body. It hides away and only comes out when no one is around. The reason I want to know is so I can determine wether or not to keep him. He's in a 10 gallon... :?

Thank you!! <3
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Looks like one of those Synodontis hybrids to me.

sure has one Synodontis ocellifer as a parent, but for S ocellifer the tailpattern isn't right; S ocellifer has the spots in the caudal (tail) fin arranged as vertical rows of spots.

Also; the dorsal fin is way too high for ocellifer. and the head (with those bulging 'frog eyes' is all wrong too.

maybe this is synodontis ocellifer x eupterus; but it's never easy to proof with these.

check out Synodontis ocellifer for the pattern and Synodontis eupterus for the overall shape.

hybrid or not; these fish are incredable tough and can be kept with anything, but not in a 10G. this fish will reach at least 6" and it'll be quite active too, and a fast grower!
it should be kept in a 35G at least.
Valar Morghulis
chibi

Post by chibi »

Thank you! The only other tank I have is a 29 gallon :( Is that okay? And will he eat little fish? I have guppies in it.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

he can snack on baby guppies, yes

can't blame him for being what he is; ANY fish will snack on baby guppies, even other adult guppies.

once mature i wouldn't put him in with any guppies, period.
but if you see him grow up to his massive adult size I'm pretty sure you won't add guppies in with him.
Valar Morghulis
chibi

Post by chibi »

sidguppy wrote:he can snack on baby guppies, yes

can't blame him for being what he is; ANY fish will snack on baby guppies, even other adult guppies.

once mature i wouldn't put him in with any guppies, period.
but if you see him grow up to his massive adult size I'm pretty sure you won't add guppies in with him.
Oh my, what have I gotten myself into...? >_< Thanks for the info!

Return to “What is my catfish?”