Catfish for my 138g

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
_erik_
Location 1: Sweden

Catfish for my 138g

Post by _erik_ »

hi

Dunno if this is the right part of the forum to post this but anyway...

I´ve got a 138 gallon tank (48x26x26) that I would like to keep one big mean catfish in. On another forum they suggested a Wyckii or asian RTC (Mystus nemurus). Do you guys think it would work? And do you get any other suggestions that would be good for my tank (not lima SN or clarias suggestions please)?

Thanks!
2 L177 Golden Nugget
1 L165 Gibbiceps
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

Tiger Shovel Nose, South American or Asian Red Tail, There is also a Hybrid cross between Shovel Nose & Red-Tail. Theys are truely MONSTERS from expereance. I own a Red-tail cat myself, if alowed he could eat 20-40 Feeder Goldfish in one night. The problem you well run into is the size the cat's can reach which you should not worry about for a while if you buy them as juveniles. I am running into this problem my self with my Red-tail & Channel cats but I will soon buy a 125 or 150 gal tank any way.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

I've seen 48" red tails caught on TV fishing shows. I wouldn't think that they'd be happy in your tank as adults. You could easily fit a lima shovelnose in there (or 2-3).
The Stig
Location 1: Doncaster, UK.
Interests: Fish, biking.

Post by The Stig »

By all means keep a red tail or tiger shovelnose but be prepared to upgrade, they both commonly hit 4 - 6 foot. But whatever you do, don't get a Phractocephalus hemiliopterus X Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum, Redtail catfish Tiger shovelnose hybrid. Both redtails and tigers grow huge anyway, some up to 6 feet what i have seen. These hybrids will grow bigger than either parent (called hybrid vigour) and so they will become huge creatures.

Does it have to be aggressive? How about a giraffe, they grow to 3 foot and you can keep other fish with them. I think you will soon become tired of one wyckii in the tank and nothing else. Brachyplatystoma juruense would be another choice, growing to about 2 foot and needs large tankmates.

Carl.
Last edited by The Stig on 17 Jun 2006, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
1 Marbled Cambodian Whipray.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Go for Trachycorystes trachycorystes They are really cool i have one that i keep with Uarus and dirt eaters. If you get a blue light they will cruise around all night.
Here is a picture I took of mine.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/incredible ... 20argh.jpg
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

Yea i would put a lima or tiger shovelnose catfish in your tank
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Tiger shovelnoses grow a bit too big for a 138g tank.

--
Mats
necrocanis
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:0)
Location 1: great falls, MT
Interests: catfish

Post by necrocanis »

hmmm, wonder what a hybrid between a lima shovelnose and a tiger shovel nose would look like, or lima with planiceps :twisted:
4000 gal nearly complete.
necrocanis

Post by necrocanis »

oh, yeah, point being, maybe you could make a smaller more manageable catfish that everyone is looking for by doing that
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

why does it have to be big? why not a nice biotope for a shoal of Glass catfish, that would be ace!! With all that space, im sure any small fish would forget its in captivity!
necrocanis

Post by necrocanis »

I personally think any well done enclosure with catfish is excellent, so long as the fish can prosper. My fish seem quite content where they are now, but I am still upgrading. I expect that the 8 1/2 ft. dia pond I am getting for them will do the job for some years to come. I put rocks and plants with plenty of hiding spots for them, and just added lots of jungle plants around the pond to make it feel even more cozy and to give them a little more shade from the room lights. I love all catfish, and I think the idea of a shoal of glass catfish would be awesome too. I am going to be making a pond for smaller catfish soon also.
LixuersMystus

Post by LixuersMystus »

A channel catfish
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

LixuersMystus wrote:A channel catfish
Too big for the tank - it grows well over 2 foot under decent conditions, and 3 foot if you treat it real nice.

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

On another forum they suggested a Wyckii or asian RTC (Mystus nemurus). Do you guys think it would work?
I think the tank will also be too small for these species, both of which grow over 2 feet long.

In order to give a fish the best possible life, I would not purchase any fish for that tank that will reach over about 16".

Keeping a big fish in a cramped tank just isn't right.

How about a Cephalosilurus?

I would also reconsider wanting to buy a big solitary catfish. I always used to want one, but I think that once the novelty wears off, and you have shown all your mates the fish eating things, you are left with a pretty boring fish.

It will just sit in its cave all day, and you'll have to look after it for 25 years. There's no scope for redesigning the tank, as the decor will be so basic.

For me the most exiting parts of the hobby are....

* Going to the shop to get a new fish and watching it settle in
* Setting up a breeding project
* Redesigning the tank & changing the decor/plants

With one big fish, you can't do any of these things after you have set up the tank.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”