South American Bumblebee catfish infor please?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kaz
Location 1: LOS ANGELES

South American Bumblebee catfish infor please?

Post by kaz »

good day,
yesterday I got a Microglanis iheringi, I placed him in my 20g tank along with my current stock (for info on stock check out my sig) all these fishing plus more will be going soon to my newer 75g low light planted tank. I'm trying to find out if this type of fish will eat all of my other fish, what it feeds on and is it aggresive? could I keep him with my stock and take him back to the lfs? all the information on this fish would be very appreciated.
wannabe stock is:
6 rainbows
1 golden nugget pleco
1 pair bolivian ram
1 pair german blue ram
12 noen tetras or cardinals
plus my current stock.
I thank you all for your attention and time!
75g/Rena Xp3/Inline Heater/Rena Air 200/Eco-Complete/2 T12 Florescent Lights 1 5000k & 1 2700k

2 Neon Tetra
6 Rummy Nose
8 Ottos
1 Yoyo Loach
1 Golden Nugget Pleco
2 Cory's

Plants
10 Bamboo plants, 2 Kymoto hair grass & 1 Argentine Sword
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Did you read this already? I think keeping Microglanis with neon/cardinal tetras is a bad idea.
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

I'd also reconsider keeping both species of Mikrogeophagus together too..

I've seen people successfully keep M.ramirezi with M.altispinosa before, but that's more of an exception to the rule in most cases. The Bolivian rams are simply larger & more aggressive, so don't judge them by the overstocked tanks at your local shop!
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

1 Leporinus Fasciatus
A nice fish indeed however, not a good choice for your small aquarium I am afraid, these have the potential to reach 30+cm's in length, and the more they grow they seem to get more aggresive towards other tank mates, I have looked after one that exceeded 30cm and its first tank mates was 4 large Oscar's, within a couple of days the Oscars were huddled together in one corner of the. tank and looking worse for ware. He was then moved into a 150 gallon tank containg a 40cm Black shark, he even entered the pipe that the Blk shark retired to, in order to harass it':evil: , needless to say he ended up in a tank with just pleco's as company :ohwell:
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”