Tiger Shovelnose Catfish $$$

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Tiger Shovelnose Catfish $$$

Post by albino catfish »

For the last couple of weeks I have been looking for a small
3 inches or smaller Tiger Shovelnose. And what price would I be looking at for this size catfish. I have seen larger ones 12 inchers for $75.00-plus. I also saw a pair of 5 inch Marble Shovelnose $39.00 would the Marble speices be more expensive than Tiger, Or the same. And is this speices hard to raise ???, I have read they can Bust Tanks open ?
buzz763
Location 1: Brooklyn Center,Minnesota

Post by buzz763 »

I would never tell someone not to get a fish, but I just got rid of 2 tigers because of multiple reason first off the guy at the lfs had them marked spotted shovelnose and said they wouldn't bother my other fish. come to find out they are tigers. And then they grew about 6 inches in 3 months and started eating other fish in the tank. I had them housed in a 220 gallon tank and it was obvious they would outgrow it it no time at all. Awesome fish if you have public aquarium to house it in. Also they are very costly to feed.
1 Platydoras costatus, 1 Agamyxis pectinifrons, 2 Pimelodus blochii, 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L081) 1 Baryancistrus Sp.(L177) 2 Pangasius sutchi,8 Corydoras leopardus,4 Corydoras metae, 4 Corydoras pulcher,12 Corydoras habrosus,6 corydoras sp.cf.aeneus,4 Ancistrus sp(3),4 Parotocinclus jumbo
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Tiger Shovelnose Catfish $$$

Post by coelacanth »

albino catfish wrote:For the last couple of weeks I have been looking for a small 3 inches or smaller Tiger Shovelnose.
You have stated elsewhere that you only have two 25 gallon aquaria, a 50 gallon pond and a 75 gallon pond. Where would you be planning to keep this fish should you obtain one?
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Tiger Shovelnose Catfish $$$

Post by Marc van Arc »

coelacanth wrote:
albino catfish wrote:For the last couple of weeks I have been looking for a small 3 inches or smaller Tiger Shovelnose.
You have stated elsewhere that you only have two 25 gallon aquaria, a 50 gallon pond and a 75 gallon pond. Where would you be planning to keep this fish should you obtain one?
It can without any problem be kept together with the sick Red Tail, you know, the one that doesn't swim....
Btw: why should someone have two accounts. I have the impression that he's sometimes answering his own "questions" and mixing things up (starting a thread as Albino catfish and then replying as .38 special or the other way round).
Anyone?
albino catfish
Location 1: Houston, Texas
Interests: Catfish

Post by albino catfish »

I keep my 6 inche Red Tail in the 25 gallon he dose all-right, preety some i will be getting a 125 gallon tank anyway. at the local fish store they have a 14 inchec red tail in a 90 galllon. What has gottin in to yall i used to have 2 13inch channel cats in my 25 gallon, yall act like a 3 inch catfish can grow to over a foot in one night.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

They can't grow a foot overnight but they can grow quickly when properly kept. While yes you can keep alive two 13" channel cats in a 25 gallon I doubt they would thank you for the spacious accomodations. Most of us believe in giving our fish the best environment possible to live in and these large catfish you have interest in require easily 1000+ gallon enclosures in order to keep properly. Your 125 gallon is just a baby tank for these fish. I could go on forever but the discussion with these large cats have been talked about many times in this forum. Read the big cats sticky, it pretty much sums it up.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=10494

If you really like shovelnose I would suggest the Lima variety which you could keep 3 or so nicely in a 125 without a problem. (That is without a red-tail in the tank)
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

what size is a 125 exactly?
massive?
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

A 125g standard tank is generally 72"lx20"wx24"h.
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

thanks
ecoli
Location 1: Sunnyvale, ca
Interests: Fish, fish and more fish...

Post by ecoli »

From experience when I was much younger and eager for tank busters, a red tail WILL outgrow a 125 in one year if properly kept for.

Tigers are even worse. They are easily spooked and a sub adult specimen can break a glass tank if he is motivated.(thankfully that did not happen)

As for keeping 2 channels in 25 gallon, well, the local fish monger keeps 20 channals in a 100 gallon tank waiting for the deep fryer; but I don't call that fish keeping.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”