S. nigriventris experience?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
zenkatydid
Location 1: Sydney

S. nigriventris experience?

Post by zenkatydid »

What does everyone think of S. nigriventris? Interesting to watch or lack of personality? Attractive or dull-looking? Do they come out much, or hide most of the time? Any experience with these guys would be helpful - I'm thinking of getting a small school for a 50G community tank.

Katy
rahendricks
Location 1: Washington, IL

Post by rahendricks »

I've had three for about a year now. They're in a heavily planted tank and I find they spend most of the time hiding in the plants and wood. They do eagerly come out for frozen bloodworms. They also are quick to come out when the lights go out. When I bought them they were kind of washed out; their colors are much darker now. Mottled browns.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:8, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

A group of S. nigriventris is definitely worth keeping. Their behavior is very interesting to watch as they are one of the few Synodontis that truly spends most of their time in the inverted position. As was already stated they are very active at feeding time. Besides their behavior their relatively small size makes the potential breeding candidates for the home aquarium. If you can get a group of 6 or 8 I would go for it.

Mark
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

and if you forgo on agressive tankmates and give them plenty of hiding places, you're in for a long time!

they can and do pass 20 years, not a unique exception, but more like it can and does happen with more individuals.

the only drawback about this small and very peaceful Syno is that they get more and more reclusive when adult and try your patience if you're used to see your fish every day
:wink:
Valar Morghulis
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

and if you forgo on agressive tankmates and give them plenty of hiding places
I am just repeating this because it is very important with these fish if you would like to see them.I also make sure there are overhangs in the rockwork,which I place so I can see into them,they will interact with each other under these overhangs.

Once they are settled in and feeding well(and there are no aggressive tankmates)I have switched mine over to daytime feedings quite easily.

If they are feeling good in their tank they can have some varied coloration,I think you can see many different colors displayed but they are fairly subtle.

I have kept a group of ten for almost ten years now in anywhere from a 20 gal. to a 75 gal.and have really enjoy them.

Birger
zenkatydid
Location 1: Sydney

Post by zenkatydid »

thanks guys, that's just what i was after.

i wouldn't be able to fit in more than 2 or 3 along with the other community fish i'm looking at - would they be happy in such a small group?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I am sure they would probably do fine but would be more reclusive,I myself would not keep less than five as they seem braver in numbers.

Birger
BERTalert7
Location 1: Abilene, TX
Interests: Art, motorcycles, fish, aviation

Post by BERTalert7 »

All of my S. nigriventris seem to be much more active when the light is on. And anytime the light is off for more than an hour or so, their color fades drasticly. When the light comes back on it takes only a few minutes for their color to fully return. Is this normal?

Although I am a bit more fond of my two S. eupterus (deformities and all) I wouldnt want to be without my USD cats. They're a blast to watch.

Brett

Return to “African Catfishes”