Sick C. Fowleri

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Sick C. Fowleri

Post by EDGE »

Temerature range 75f
pH 6.5
gH 0
kH 0
Ammonia, 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

f) Water change frequency every few days

I caught this problem a little late. They were eating like wolves earlier in the month so I didn't pay much attention to it. Yesturday, I notice one has sunken eyes and sunken belly. I am not sure what caused the problem or the illness it may be. The pair have stopped eating.

I was feeding it on frozen bloodworms. couldn't find any other source of livefood in the area.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Usually the sunken eyes indicates a fish that is old, but it could also be a dietary problem. If the food it is eating is not being digested the fish is effectively starving.

You do not say what foods you are giving them. Like most things variety is best and will give a more balanced diet, I would try some live Daphnia, blood worm, white worm or finely chopped earth worm, this may improve the situation.

Ian
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

Thanks for the info.

I have been feeding mostly bloodworm. They do not like any other food I give it. The problem just became worse (I think). It is starting to show redness near the anal fin area.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

If there are red blotches showing on the body I would immediately change 50% of the water and a full dose of Melafix (Appropriate to the tanks capacity) and add an air stone with a strong flow. The air stone is a must when using Melafix because the treatment seams to deplete the oxygen levels, but the use of an air stone will keep the levels up.

Do not feed at all for 24 hours and then I would offer a variety of foods, Tetra tabimin or Aquarian Tablet foods make a good basis for a staple diet. Like us they need a variable diet.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”