Synodontis Dorsomaculatus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Orbital
Location 1: Bettendorf, Iowa
Interests: African Cichlids and Synodontis

Synodontis Dorsomaculatus

Post by Orbital »

Silurus thought the Synodontis species I wanted ID'd was a Dorsomaculatus. I can not find any pictures of them anywhere, does anyone have any to compare to mine?

Here are my two largest specimen, I have a 3rd that is the runt of the group and less colorful.

Thanks, Chad
Orbital

Post by Orbital »

Here is a newer picture of my two largest specimens.

worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hiya,

I've just seen very similiar looking fish and I thought it could be s. nigromaculatus. How about that Silurus? However spots in this fish showed above are bigger that I saw and barbels are too dark.
Yours are WC, Orbital?

Regads.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild
Erwin
My articles: 1
My images: 6
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Augsburg, Germany
Interests: esp. cichlids, catfish

Post by Erwin »

Unfortunately I can't say what your fish is, but I can say its not S. dorsomaculatus, because first place, from the area where they live no fish exports are comming so it would be more than a surprise if they would show up, and second, there are quite some differences in pattern and morphology. The most striking are the circle-round eyes of your fish vs. ellipsiform in S.dorsomaculatus, no dots but marbled pattern at the head of S.dorsomaculatus vs. dots at your fish.
Its not S.nigromaculatus eigther, because I have seen them several times. Its a species which owns much longer maxillary barbels, and the dots at the body are much more closely set.

Erwin
CEfire
Location 1: Illinois
Interests: Synodontis, Disc golf, Fishing

Post by CEfire »

Hey Orbital,

I think I bought some of the same fish. Did you get them in Cedar Rapids...I am still working on identifying mine which look exactly the same as those pics.
Orbital

Post by Orbital »

Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking they were Nigrita at first, but their spotting seems different. I am not that well versed with all the types of Synos, but really do enjoy them.

CEfire: I think I know what place your talking about, but no I got them in Davenport. They were some oddballs that a shop that deals mostly with salt water fish had in. I got them a few years back.

Also I don't know their origin as far as generation. Probably not wild caught, but who knows.

Return to “African Catfishes”