sources for bamboo

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

sources for bamboo

Post by bedwetter »

Where do people buy bamboo from? My LFS says they can't get it and don't know where it is available. I am looking for fairly small pieces for my Panaque maccus, maybe 1-1.5" diameter

Thanks alot
Jeff
gemsonthebottom
Location 1: Midwest U.S.A.

Post by gemsonthebottom »

Any home improvement store should have what you are looking for in the garden department.
6 L005 Angelicus, 4 L007 Vampires, 4 L015, 4 L028 Angelicus, 1 L147, 1 L200 lemon spot, 9 LDA08 Gold Marble Bristlenose, 12 LDA25 Pitbulls, 5 Dwarf Albino Bristlenose, 5 Brown Longfin Bristlenose, 5 Longfin Paleatus Corys, 12 Sterbai Corys, 6 Black Aeneus Corys
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

gemsonthebottom wrote:Any home improvement store should have what you are looking for in the garden department.
Check them closely if you buy them at a home improvement store, as they are often coated with thin lacquer-like substances to preserve them for decorative displays in homes and businesses. Those subtances would most probably leach in the water and kill your fish.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
djw66

Re: sources for bamboo

Post by djw66 »

bedwetter wrote:Where do people buy bamboo from? My LFS says they can't get it and don't know where it is available. I am looking for fairly small pieces for my Panaque maccus, maybe 1-1.5" diameter

Thanks alot
Jeff
Just noticed you're in Indiana. You should be able to find them along the banks of any larger creek or smaller river. I'd get bamboo from the banks of the Spring River in Arkansas with a machete I bought at an Army Surplus store. Just make sure its legal to harvest a bit of bamboo in your area. You might ask local fishermen if they know of any stands. You should boil it before putting it in an aquarium.

Certainly beats paying for it.

Dave
jen.nelson
Location 1: Tampa, FL
Interests: fishies, snakes, greyhounds, weightlifting, and cars

Post by jen.nelson »

I have an insane amount of bamboo growing in my yard. Is boiling it all I need to do to make it aquarium safe?

Jen
djw66

Post by djw66 »

jen.nelson wrote:I have an insane amount of bamboo growing in my yard. Is boiling it all I need to do to make it aquarium safe?

Jen
Jen
Short answer is yes. Long answer is you should sun dry any cuttings until they dry out before boiling, as putting a green piece in a tank, boiled or not, invites all kinds of fun stuff, like fungus (speaking from experience here), and a nice pea green tint to the water.

Boil, then soak the pieces to water-log 'em, and that's it. No real difference between the stuff in your yard and the stuff you pay for.

Dave
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

For those that do not live in areas where bamboo grows in insane amounts in the garden, the answer is to use your local garden centre. I've been buying varying size "stakes" for about USD $6-$12, depending on length and diameter. The ones I've used are definitely untreated and are meant as some sort of posts for bamboo fences and such.

--
Mats
Fish Soup
I've donated: $25.00!
Location 1: Penna. USA

Post by Fish Soup »

I'd be careful about store bought bamboo. I was having a problem finding it in my local garden shops. So I contacted a seller on eBay. He claimed most, including his, is imported from China and is sprayed for insects before entering the US.

I'm in need of a few pieces for my L183s. So if anyone has access to a wild stand and wants to sell a few, give me a shout.

Don
2xL46; 3xL333; 2xLDA33; 3xL183; 9xLDA08; 1xAncistrus L279; 2xAlbino Ancistrus sp.(3)
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Fish Soup wrote:I'd be careful about store bought bamboo. I was having a problem finding it in my local garden shops. So I contacted a seller on eBay. He claimed most, including his, is imported from China and is sprayed for insects before entering the US.
That's very likely, it certainly would be a risk of spreading all sorts of critters if you didn't treat it in some way. I boil mine before using, as well as soaking it in water for several days to make it sink, changing water every other day or so, and I currently have something like 4 pieces in my big tank, that are 8" long and around 2" diameter, plus a few smaller pieces. I haven't seen any bad effects on the fish, but that may of course be a longer term thing [although I would think that they use a fairly aggressive insecticide that kills things short term, rather than something that is longer lasting and kills slowly. Of course, the effect on fish may be different than on the insects...]

--
Mats
bedwetter
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Missoula
Location 2: Montana

Post by bedwetter »

regarding store-bought bamboo. There is a new law that states ALL imported bamboo must be treated with insecticides. It used to be only the undyed bamboo that required treatment, but apparently many pest insects have been getting in on the dyed bamboo as well. I imagine the boiling and soaking will get rid of most of the insecticided, however.

I will start looking around for bamboo growing around here.

Thanks for the responses!
Jeff
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I have a book here by Peter Hiscock called Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. On page 96 of the hardcover release of this book, he talks about purchasing "bamboo canes" and treating them with "a clear polyurethane varnish inside and outside." The pictures show pre-dried bamboo. I'm not sure this will work. I haven't tried it. Everything else I've tried from this book has worked, though. My copy is rather dog-eared and water stained. :wink:
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

You can certainly varnish the bamboo with clear (or non-clear) PU varnish. That would make them almost indesctructable to rotting, etc.

My only concern with that would be that the PU may contain additives, such as fungicides that are just as bad as the stuff you're trying to prevent from leaking into the water by varnishing it. Read the label on the PU varnish very carefully.

Also, I quite like the way that the bamboo goes greyish brown after some time in the water. I don't mind the least bit, really.

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I wonder how long it takes bamboo from the garden to dry out?
jen.nelson

Post by jen.nelson »

Given that almost nothing in FL is ever really dried out, I may try heating it in the oven on the lowest setting to dry it out, if it turns out I have pieces that might work for my fish...It works for garden soil...

Jen
djw66

Post by djw66 »

bronzefry wrote:I wonder how long it takes bamboo from the garden to dry out?
Depends, Bronzefry. Where I lived in Arkansas, it was very sunny and hot, but quite humid. It'd take a couple weeks to a month of sun to dry it thoroughly. The oven thing would probably work as well, and you'd have more control over the drying, but you'd have to be careful about splitting and perhaps fire.

Dave
jen.nelson

Post by jen.nelson »

The oven thing would probably work as well, and you'd have more control over the drying, but you'd have to be careful about splitting and perhaps fire.
Ah, well, I face one of those two risks every time I cook. :lol: If anything amusing happens, I promise to post pictures.

Jen
kkorotev
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 18
Spotted: 11
Location 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post by kkorotev »

Do not, under any circumstances, coat/dip/paint your bamboo pieces with ANYTHING...if your intention is for your suckermouths to use them for caves.
They graze on the stuff!
Ancistrus and Panaque will chew them paper thin in a few short months...and if they're coated with something!
Yikes!

Another source is the "Dollar" store or wherever you'd shop for "Tiki" torches. That's where I get mine, anyway...but not anymore this season. The beginning of the outdoor cooking season is best.

My 2 cents worth.
Kevin Korotev
Milwaukee
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Post by Icthician »

MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Ehm, yes, but buying bamboo that is growing is almost certainly a pretty expensive way of getting some that you can stick in the tank. Unless of course you also want to plant it in the garden and have it grow further before "harvesting" some...

Looking further at the site, you'd probably have to wait for quite some time for the UPS shippable to reach a 1-3" diameter pipe that can be cut up to make pleco caves. Of course, I don't know much about growing bamboo, so I could be wrong...

--
Mats
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Post by Icthician »

MatsP

Post by MatsP »

That's better... In fact, excellent. The square bamboo looks very nice, but you'd be spending hundreds before you have a decent cave for a few babies.

--
Mats

Return to “Tank Talk”