Whiskers almost as long as body

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
sharkun
Location 1: kY USA

Whiskers almost as long as body

Post by sharkun »

Sorry I do not have a picture yet, can get one up tomorrow probably. I bought this catfish that had unusually long whiskers. If the catfish is 5 inches long, it's whiskers are 4 to 4 1/2 inches long. Just one set is that long, the rest are relatively short. It's sorta looks like a http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/mo ... /417_3.phpbut it's black with brown irregular lines all over it's body.

Thanks if anyone can help.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Perrunichthys perruno or Leiarius spp

Both will grow quite large!
to give you a hint:
Perrunichthys perruno, of wich there are -strangely enough :?: - no pix in the catelog.
Valar Morghulis
sharkun
Location 1: kY USA

Post by sharkun »

thanks
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:4, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

sidguppy wrote:Perrunichthys perruno, of which there are -strangely enough :?: - no pix in the catelog.
That's because IMO practically all the "Perruno Cats" that are sold are Leiarus longibarbis. I've only ever seen a handful of what I think were true Perrunichthys, and they look different even when young.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I've yet to see two pictures that, when seen side by side, clearly show the differences as described in the two species.

Jools

Return to “What is my catfish?”