am looking for...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
nick.c
Location 1: spfld,mass
Interests: catfish,trucks

am looking for...

Post by nick.c »

I currently own 2 Blue Channels,I have a 100 gallon tank and i know this is an impossible set up,what with channels getting so large,so my question is,is there a nice catfish that i can get here in the U.S. that will grow to say 10-12 inches??Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :)
Atlanta Falcons #1
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

say 10-12 inches??
A flat bullhead () or a spotted bullhead () will reach that size.
nick.c

Post by nick.c »

I am not sure,but i think they may be illegal to keep here.
Atlanta Falcons #1
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

Pick up a copy of your state's fishing handbook (if Mass distributes such a thing every year), there should be guidelines for possession & whatnot. Most states don't consider any catfish threatened or as gamefish, so it's unlikely you'd need anything more than a valid fishing license to collect & keep native catfishes.

This isn't even required here in Michigan, and the only real restriction is on gamefish in the home aquarium. They're subject to the same seasonal & possion limits that are imposed on fishing for any particular species.
nick.c

Post by nick.c »

Thanks guys,i appreciate it!!!! 8)
Atlanta Falcons #1

Return to “Other Catfishes”