spawning Burundi petricola's!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

update:
bucketful of Syno's

waiter, there's a catfish in my soup

and, no; I didn't count them; how can you count such a wriggling mass?
:wink:
Valar Morghulis
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Congratulations, Sid. How big a tank was it that you spawned them in and how many Burundi petris did you have in there? And a silly question: how did you get them out of the tank?
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

The breeding tank was:
1.30m x 40 cm x 45 cm. l x w x h.
The breeding group:
2 males, 5 females.

I collected the eggs with marble-traps and used a mesh-contraption to hatch them; this contraption was build into the tank, and the outlet of the Eheim 2213 emptied into the mesh.
this constant current made sure the eggs didn't fungus, the only thing I used to keep dead eggs from contaminating the live ones, and dead fry from choking the live fry was a herd of Ramshornsnails and MTS in that mesh-thingy.

I kept the fry in there for several weeks, until they were robust enough to be transferred to a 60cm x 30 cm x 30 cm tank, wich I filled with water from the breeding tank: this resulted in NO changes in water for the fragile fry, and hence, very little loss.

I added fresh water to the breeding tank, to replace the 50 liters.

This resulted in even more eggs/fry etc, wich i did transfer to the tank where the others already grew.

That 50 liters tank housed them until now; furniture was a sponge filter on air, several terracotta pots, PVC pipes, floating plants, filamentous algae and hydrilla on a bare glass bottom to keep it clean.
lots of snails to remove algae and leftovers and the occasional dead fry.

I added fresh water by using a watering can with showerhead!
by using showerheads you can miss a bit on temperature or so; the many droplets instead of a big stream make it very safe. I added a tiny bit of waterconditioner (aquasafe and seasalt) with each waterchange, nothing else.
NO fungicides, NO medications, NO dechlorinator.

temp was 23-25'C, pH was about 8, GH about 11, KH about 6-8.

to catch these: I use a simple net! a very fine mesh one, mind; otherwise they all get stuck......I had to pull a few and now I got a few sore fingers and thumb. the spines on these tiny Syno's are razorsharp!

Yesterday I did a massive waterchange in ALL my tanks, hence the differences in waterparameters between the tanks were minute; a very simple trick to do the day before you exchange fish from tank to tank.
Of course I used the aquasafe and seasalt again with each and every tank.
:wink:
Valar Morghulis
Rense
Location 1: Lelystad, the netherlands
Interests: catfish ofcourse :D And the other fish from lake tanganyika

Post by Rense »

sidguppy wrote:update:
waiter, there's a catfish in my soup
whahaha :lol:

nice pics sidguppy!
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

I just noticed that I had like 30 eggs in my marble bowl setup. I already made the mistake of putting them in a tubbler. They became peacock food.

Sidguppy I was wondering if you could take a picture of your mesh contraption.

How old are the petros in the bucket?

Thanks
Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

The Syno's in the bucket are a few months old; these are -like the dwarf- very slow growers!

netcontraption-pix will be placed as soon as I have some decent pix!
:D :wink:
Valar Morghulis
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

I found another batch of eggs. Probably 100 or so. I put them in a 15g with some methal blue. It looked like the eggs were getting fuzzy but they hatch yesterday.

I am planning on feeding them a mixture of meaty foods that have been ground up. I have been using this for my altolampogus calvus fry with alot of success.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!

Return to “African Catfishes”