syno petricola breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

syno petricola breeding

Post by hazard »

I don't know what to do. I have like 25 petricola dwarfs that I have had for 1.5-2 years and i got them when they were 1-1.25". I figure they are 2.5 years old if not older and am assuming breeding size now.

I put 8 or so in a 20g and I am wondering if they would do better with more or less for breeding. I have a few bowls with the marbles and clay pots going. I have had the 8 in the 20g for few weeks now. They get alone good so far. I am not sure on the ratio that I have picked out. I picked out 5 that were the largest with really fat bellies and 3 that were smaller. Larger ones are 3" and smaller ones are 2-2.5".

I know that I should just experiment and see what happens but I figured I might as well ask the question.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

Synodontis petricola as you have already sorted out are egg scatters. They weakly pair off to a degree prior to spawning, but the actual spawn is a bit more mob-like than many other Synodontis.

Given that they are spawning over marbles to exclude additional non-spawning fish from snacking on the eggs I'd say the more the merrier. Two breeders I know of that are producing large numbers of these fish have them in large (20+ fish) spawning colonies.

So long as your exclusion methods are sufficient, you should soon be gathering more eggs than you know what to do with...
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
hazard

Post by hazard »

I like that reply. Thanks for the answer.

I think 25 petros in a small tank will be really interesting and hopefully I will get some fry out of them

Chris
hazard

Post by hazard »

I just added the rest of my petros to the 20g high. I think there is a total of 33 or 34 in there that are between 1.5-3". Lots of activity. I will probably move them to a 30g breeder soon
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

IMHO: This is clearly too many fish for that size tank! Even in a 30B your going to be a bit too cramped...

Do you have anything bigger for them? Say a 55 or 75 gallon? I'd think that would be a bit more appropriate.

Then again, I tend to stock lightly. It's always safer to err on the side of caution than to regret it later.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

I breed Petricola. They have used my my cichlids as hosts twice, but have scattered there eggs way more times. I have about 15 in a 75 with mbuna.

Return to “African Catfishes”