Leatius Marmaratus - What to Feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
suewenking
Location 1: Boston, UK

Leatius Marmaratus - What to Feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by suewenking »

I have an 18" Learius Marmaratus in a 100 gal tank along with ablack ghost knifefish and a lima shovelnose(8"). I had previously been feeding frozen lance fish to both cats in their old tank and both of them ate without problem. I am now finding that when I feed lancefish in the new set-up, the shovelnose does not get a look in!!!
What alternative food is available which will keep the Learius occupied and happy but still allow the shovelnose to eat lancefish.
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

You could try feeding the Liearius some much larger food, i found that by giving my 20" L.pictus a whole fresh sardine (roughly 4 inches long) it meant that it spent long enough trying to swallow the larger food that the other fish in the tank could feed. Other than that there isnt much you can do, once they have reached that kind of size Liearius species become gluttonous hoovers which will eat anything and everything you throw into the tank.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
suewenking

Post by suewenking »

Thanks a lot catfishcrazy. I had been considering going to my local fishmonger but was unsure what size fish to buy until I got a reply. I will try this very soon and will let you know how I get on. Cheers buddy.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Also you could try some cod or similar white fish cut into pieces, some times fishmongers may have some at reduced prices, try telling the fishmonger what you require and why, and usually they are quite helpful, they might not have any available at the time you ask, but they may keep some for you in the future if you ask.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
suewenking

Post by suewenking »

Not the best of news I'm afraid.
Have tried the cod fillet strips, the Learius appears to get even more excited and boisterous over them, making his tankmates retreat even further. As a result I have had to move the shovelnose back into his old 6' tank. He has not eaten for 10 days and I am not prepared to let him go any longer without food. This somewhat screws up my plans for the new tank and much as he is a beautiful fish, I do not think I am left with an alternative but to re-house the Learius.
I will be sorry to see him go, but if anyone out there can provide a good home for him (18"), please contact me and you will be most welcome to a lovely free addition to your collection.
This was not an easy decision to make and I will not just pass him on as a novelty fish. You must be able to provide the right conditions, so please do not waste my time if you cannot do this.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”