Bristlenose catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
noddy
Location 1: Victoria, Australia

Bristlenose catfish

Post by noddy »

Hey everyone
I am just curious to how many Bristles i would be safe in a 48x14x18 tank. I intend breeding them and have been advised to have one male and a number of females as the males tend to fight a bit which i don't want to happen. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time
Noddy :thumbsup:
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

hi!

Id just go with a pair to start with as theyll most prolly produce tons of offspring in time anyway...depending on the other fish in the tank...
cheers
Christian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Thanks Caol_ila
i was probably looking at putting them with some africans once they got a bit bigger as i have been told that they grow very slowly. Also can someone give me an examle of the routine of feeding variety they use for their bristles and how much should they be fed
Thanks again for your time
Noddy
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

If you have Africans youll probably wonna take out any offspring that youll have to make it survive. They grow depending ont he diet and quantity of food...for feeding check out the feeding loricariidae thread in this same forum - summs it up pretty good! ;)
Theres also an article on feeding plecos in the shanes world section of the mother site...
cheers
Christian
noddy

threads

Post by noddy »

the threads that you spoke abouti have not been able to find. I fyou could please give me some more directions it would be greatly appreciated
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Here's the thread about feeding loricariids, and the one on feeding catfishes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Thanks Silurus
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I would stick to a pair to start with and give the male a cave or tube to take up resedance in, the female will find him when she is ready to breed.

I don't think that Bristle nose would be that suited to the Africans environment. High pH would not be to their liking. They are not fussy eaters and will readily accept almost anythg offered but they do require a high precentage of vegetable matter.

A peice of soft bog wood (Not the hard so called petrified wood) in their tank would also be advantageous, they actually graze on and have the ability to digest wood.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”