how should I ship a fish

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
sodapopdima
Location 1: Brooklyn, NY

how should I ship a fish

Post by sodapopdima »

Hi all, avid reader and fan of this site but I know I do not post much

Just wanted to know what the best way to ship a fish (overnight) is. It is a 2" pleco and I would like to send him soon. Will those bags from the LFS suffice, they say not to keep fish in for longer than 2hrs?

Thx to all!!
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

Use as much water as you can get away with at 50% of the bags capacity. Triple bag and ensure the bag has air under a bit a pressure. A couple of drops of "ammo-lock" may help to avoid the fish burning its skin in its own waste. Pack bubble wrap or foam padding aroung the bag with the box. Let the shipper know it is live fish, they often have stickers to lable your box and keep it in better locations for temperature and saftey.

Good Luck.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

This is a frequent question and I suppose warrants an article somewhere.
I use wide mouth plastic jars or containers because they can not be squished in transit or punctured by the fish. Also avoids fish getting trapped in a corner as often happens with bags. The plastic jar is then placed in a cooler (styro will work, but a hard cooler is better). I use 1/3 water. Should be enough water that the fish stays submersed no matter what angle the jar ends up sitting. Do not feed the fish for 2 days before shipping.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
ricorn
Location 1: Ohio

Post by ricorn »

look at the forums at aquabid.com they recently had shipping tips and techniques. If your shipping a pleco with bags you better double or triple bag it.
sodapopdima

Post by sodapopdima »

I plan to get the large bags they got at my LFS, I will quadrouple them and add a few drops of Ammo Lock as suggested. I plan to ship overnigth and I know how to package well.

I wanted to inquire about enough oxygen, because that was my main concern. I remember during the blackout, all the LFS had some substance they added to the tanks to help oxygenate them.

Does anyone know what that is and if it's feasible to get some an duse it?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Do not add anything like this. The expanding gases may pop your bags.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
sodapopdima

Post by sodapopdima »

Thank you everyone for your advice, my fish made it safe and sound...

:D

Return to “Speak Easy”