Which air pump for 8 ten gals

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
coryhead
Location 1: Everett, wa

Which air pump for 8 ten gals

Post by coryhead »

I am wondering if there is any one airpump on the market that will rum eight sponge filters for ten gallon tanks. I am starting a fish room and the first rack will house eight ten gallons. I don't have may outlets in the room so I don't want to end up with a power squid behind the rack for the eight small air pumps :-)
I read about a Supra IV elsewhere but find nothing online about it?
natefrog
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vancouver, B.C.

Post by natefrog »

I think want you may want to look into in not a simple air pump, but a blower. I am moving into a new huse in a week and am also setting up a fish room for twenty tanks and the best product i could find to run that many sponge filters was a Hagen 20 blower.

The issue with blowers is that you need to plumb a main air line from the blower with a number of valves installed at different points. From the valves you run your standard airline tubing tothe filters. A friend of mine runs forty tanks this way and has been doing so for quite some time with a great deal of success.

Good Luck. :D
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Are you thinking of a belt-driven air pump?
coryhead
Location 1: Everett, wa

Post by coryhead »

I have heard bad things about belt driven pumps and blowers are said to be super loud :shock: I did find a linear diaphram pump but never heard of them before.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

natefrog:-
the best product i could find to run that many sponge filters was a Hagen 20 blower.
Have to agree I had one for 5 years running on average 36 tanks, just replaced it, diaphram went(not bad it was second hand when I got it), found another second hand hi-blow 20 on e-bay and got it for under £40. works great on
2 dozen tanks plus hatching trays. :)
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Do you have a link to one of these air filters? I'm not sure I've seen one. The belt-driven ones are horribly noisy!
troi
I've donated: $65.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Northwest New Mexico, USA

Re: Which air pump for 8 ten gals

Post by troi »

coryhead wrote:I am wondering if there is any one airpump on the market that will rum eight sponge filters for ten gallon tanks.
If the back pressure is not too high, the Rena 400 might work. It is nearly dead quiet and can run quite several tanks or several huge air stones. Or an entire fishroom, it you don't need a lot of flow. It would definitely be ok with the depth.

The tetra tec deep might work, as well. Gets quieter over time. Check what the manufacturer says about depth and back pressure. It is designed for more than normal back pressure for each size.

I assume the "wa" in your location information mean Washington State, USA? These products should be available.

troi
ricorn
Location 1: Ohio

Post by ricorn »

if your going to be expanding beyond 8 or 10 tanks go to kensfish.com buy the av50 pump. I am currently running 14 sponge filters and have excess air to bubble eggs.it replaced 2 4 outlet pumps and a few 1 outlet pumps. low noise, lots of air. if you can buy the add on air regulator its great. definetly a good system!

Return to “Tank Talk”