Selling Albino BN to LFS

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MissMinerva
Location 1: Iowa, USA

Selling Albino BN to LFS

Post by MissMinerva »

I have a dozen juvie albino bristlenoses. Unfortunately, they did not spawn in my tank - I bought them. I know some of you folks sell these to your local lfs'. I would like to sell some also but, have no idea what to ask for them. :?:

I also want to make sure I keep a breeding pair for future spawnings and hopefully, sales.

I have never seen albino BN in any stores is this area during the last couple years so, I know they don't pop up too often.

So, what is the average price you sell these for in the US?

Thanks!
Jan
MissMinerva

Post by MissMinerva »

Anyone? If you don't want to say on the forum, please pm me.

Thanks!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Check out this thread. I once tried commercial Ancistrus production.
-Shane

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... us+selling
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Well, okay, some British prices:

Unsexed juveniles 1.5 inches: £5-£7

Young sexed pair 3 inches: £25

Adults 5 inches: £20-£30

Multiply by an exchange rate of about 1.5 to get $U.S.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
MissMinerva

Post by MissMinerva »

Thank you!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Ancistrus are regularly sold here in the US for $7-10 dollars. I see them on wholesale lists for $2.50-$10, depending on the species and size. You'll be lucky to find an LFS that pays you more than 1/3 what they sell them for, and you'll need to grow them out to good size. The formula I use at our store is you get 1/2 what I'm going to sell them for in store credit, or 1/3 in cash. It usually keeps everyone happy. You should definitely be asking your LFS though. Just because they don't have a fish doesn't always mean they want them, no matter how silly it would seem to not carry ancistrus!

Barbie
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Sorry to hijack the post, but its related. What size cave do people use to spawn these fish. I've done it in the past, and had very low production of viable eggs. Most just got fungus. I thought that maybe they were not getting fertilized. After 2 spawnings, only 1 fry survived.

After about a year, I am ready to try again. The 1 fry is a mature female now, and I purchased a male to go with her. I just need to know about the cave.

Also, do breeders add any fungacide to the water for the eggs? :D
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
MissMinerva

Post by MissMinerva »

Barbie, I already told this LFS that I had some to sell and she was quite interested - if the price was right. I just didn't know what the "right" price was! I guess I can just start high and we can go from there.

She's the closest to me (very rural) but I still have a sour taste from the lace catfish she said wouldn't get more than 3". I eventually had to return the two big, beautiful S. Eupterus to her because I didn't have room for them. Even though she misled me when I bought them, she wouldn't even give me any store credit! I can only imagine what she sold those beauties for later.

So, I guess I just don't want her to profit too much from my bristlenoses. :twisted: There are a couple places in La Crosse that I can check out too.

Thanks!

Continue with hijack...
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Clay.

My first three spawns where under a piece of slate, where the male dug out a hollow. I've now added a upside down terracotta saucer to the tank, where the male likes to sit. I cut the round 5" saucer to a D-shape, thus creating an opening. I cut about 1.5" off at the widest part.

From what I understand, the material of the cave isn't particularly important, it's more a "fit" question, that the male should just about fit in there with the female.

It's not unusual for a first spawn to be unsuccessfull, although I have never understood why, it seems that often the first batch of eggs (or milt?) isn't quite as good as the next lot. Just leave the male and female together if the first lot fails, and the next lot may well go better. Eggs that aren't properly fertilized fungus much easier.

I've never added anything to prevent fungus, but I guess you could add a small amount of Methylene blue. You should be able to buy this in the LFS.

Best of luck.

--
Mats
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

What size are they?

I generally sell the albinos at 1-1.5" for $3-4 each and less if I sell in quantity. The lfs that I have sold to in the past does the 1/3 cash or 1/2 credit which isn't bad.

Where in Iowa are you located?
The plecos are calling!!!
MissMinerva

Post by MissMinerva »

Hi Hazard,

I'm in Lansing. NE corner of IA on the river. The sizes range from 1"-2". I haven't talked to any places in La Crosse yet. Where 'bouts are you?
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

Hi

I live about 20 miles south of Madison. If you are looking to get rid of them I would post them on these forums and sell for $3 or 4 each out right instead of worring about getting ripped off by the lfs. If they are pushing 2" I would sell them for alittle more

http://14.freebb.com/?freebb=mnfish
http://www.iowaaquaria.com/forum/
wiscichlidforum.com

Some of the forums require that you participate to sell stuff.
The plecos are calling!!!
MissMinerva

Post by MissMinerva »

Thanks for the info and the links, Hazard!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”