Catfish????

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
ebhome
Location 1: Massachusetts
Interests: Home

Catfish????

Post by ebhome »

I purchased ahome about 2 years ago and it has a pond in the front yard that is fed by a small intermitten stream. It is getting pretty overgrown with algae and cattails and I want to clean it out and have fish in it. Can anyone tell me if catfish would be right for this?? I have a friend that has raised 2 in an aquarium and they are getting too big for the tank so he offered to give them to me for the pond. Will they survive and will they feed off of the algae on the bottom of the pond? It is still partially clear, approx. 15' round and 3 feet deep. Any help would be appriciated.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

This depends on the kind of catfish your friend has. A picture of the fish in question would help immensely.
ebhome

Post by ebhome »

I will get some pictures and post them as soon as I can but is there a certain kind of catfish that would help my situation?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Catfish that you can keep in your pond will not solve the algae problem (i.e. they will not eat the algae).
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

A lot of waterways in Massachusetts have algae problems. The pond down the street from me is a slime pit. It used to be swimmable. Many "ponds" and "lakes" in Massachusetts used to be foundries in the Revolutionary War, so many are man-made. The one up the street from me was a munitions foundry. Then it became an ice factory. Now, it's a real estate selling point. :lol:

Can you please find out what species of catfish your friend has that's getting too big for the aquarium?
Elspeth
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kansas City, Missouri

Post by Elspeth »

Catfish that will survive your winters (even with a pond deicer, which is a good idea and keeps the pond from totally freezing over) are not going to be algae eaters.

That doesn't mean that a couple of catfish couldn't be a neat addition to the pond; they just won't solve your algae problems. Koi and goldfish, in case you have thought of those too, will eat some of the algae but not enough to clear up their pond.

Is this an earth pond or a lined pond?

Higher plants like cattails and lillies will help with algae, presumably both by competing for nutrients and by intercepting sunlight. The shade provided by water plants also helps keep the water a bit cooler for the sake of the fish.

Cattails will, I think, turn your pond into a marshy swamp and ultimately into a damp spot overgrown with cattails. They are lovely in containers in a lined pond, however. I have read that hardy lilies will populate but not overrun earth ponds, but I haven't tried it myself. Yet.

If my figures are right, the water volume of a 15' round 3' deep pond is plenty for almost any fish you'd like to put in there. The fish and the algae will be two different issues. Unless you can and want to keep that pond heated to tropical temperatures...
ricorn
Location 1: Ohio

Post by ricorn »

contact your state fish and wildlife office they should be able to help you out.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I did a little research for you. I was curious about existing ponds on private property in Massachusetts. It does depend on the local town bylaws. As you probably already know, in Mass., the local bylaws are enough to drive one insane. I have a friend who tried to edge his lawn a little too close to a wetlands(he didn't know it was there-wetlands definitions aren't exactly what you may think) and he was suddenly on the evening news. "But I was just edging my lawn!!" :shock: He had to take the edging out, replace it with haybales and pay a fine. (At least the Audubon people are kind enough to post signs when you approach their lands.) Please contact your Town or City Hall to see what convoluted bylaws may exist in your community. If there aren't any, then your next step would be, as Ricorn suggests, the fish and game people. Please PM me with any questions. :wink:
ebhome

Catfish

Post by ebhome »

Thank you all for your input. Any information I get is extremely helpful.

Return to “Speak Easy”