L134 Babies

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

L134 Babies

Post by PlecoCrazy »

My L134's have had babies but the male has accidentally kicked out a couple of new fry with big egg sacks. They are wiggling all over the tank. Should I try to remove them, if so, how with out hurting them? or should I just leave them in there? The only occupants are 8 L134 Plecos and its a 30 gallon tank. It has two sponge filters and two whisper 40's with sponge prefilters on them. I was suprised at the size of cave they went for, its a 6" piece of 3/4" PVC capped off at one end. I actually made and added the cave about two weeks ago and had intended on removing it because I thought it was too small for anyone to fit into. The male barely fits in there. I don't even know which female was able to fit in there but she must have. Thanks for any advice. :D
1tankneverenuff
Location 1: Jacksonville, FL
Interests: Freshwater and saltwater aquaria, car audio, computers and web design, partying, and women!

Post by 1tankneverenuff »

Oh cool! I was thinking of breeding Leopard Frogs in my 33L gallon. How hard was it?
(1) 55 Gal. FW - Dottyback/Spiney Eels
(1) 33L Gal. FW - Exotic Dwarf Plecostomus'
(1) 10 Gal. FW - Guppies, Shrimp, Snails, & Live Plants

Fish Bowl Aquariums©
2245 County Rd. 210 W.
Suite 105
Jacksonville, FL 32259
(904) - 823 - 1700
http://www.fishbowlaquariums.com
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

You can try to move them to a hanging fry container in the parent's tank by scooping them into a shot glass or other small glass. They will probably develop normally if you leave them.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Adam
Location 1: Carnarvon, Western Australia

Post by Adam »

Can you tell us more about the conditions when and leading up to when your L134s bred?

Adam
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Sorry it took so long to reply. Work has been crazy.

I have had 4 of the fish for about two years. Watching them I started to beleive that I had 4 females. About a year ago I acquired 4 more and put them all together. Thought that maybe two of the new ones could be males.

At the beginning of the year both of my jobs started requiring more of my time so I had put another filter on the tank about a month ago to give me a few more days between water changes. That was one thing that maybe started something.

The next thing is that I usually mix my RO with tap water to get hardness down. Probably coincidently about a month ago I started using Aquarium Pharm. RO water treatment to make my PH right (6.8-7.0) where I wanted plus I could control the TDS of the water better.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed one of the male L134 sticking out of his cave and noticed a bunch of odontodal growth down his sides all the way to the claudal. Couple of day later I noticed that he didn't run into his cave upon seeing me enter the room and went closer and noticed a little bit of a claudal fin sticking out underneath him and I new that it was probably a female. Next day everything seemed back to normal and I was disappointed. Kept looking everyday hoping to see him fanning his fins to keep current over the eggs but he did not do much fanning. I could not see any eggs as the cave is too small and dark to see in. Then one day I saw the two big egg sacks moving all over my tank with a little hair piece of a pleco attched to it. Two babies are still doing fine left in the main tank. Male hasn't let anybody out of cave yet.

I was proably changing about 5 Gallons of water every 3 days or so. Fed them Omega One Veggie wafer, Shrimp pellets, Tetra Colorbits, and frozen bloodworms. I have a piece of wood in the tank which does get chewed on. Of the caves I have they seem to prefer the smaller ones over anything else. Don't know if it helps anyone. Maybe I can help more after I can pull it off another couple of times.

Its just nice after keeping a fish for over two years to finally have it spawn. The wife has been bugging me why I was wasting tank space on them. :roll:

Now if the silly L204's would kick in I'd really have her off my back. :D
fishysmell
Location 1: buffalo ny
Interests: fish

Post by fishysmell »

so that would mean a drop in water hardness is what made ur plecos spawn....
and that would be correct with what i have read....

i will show when mine spawn...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”