praziquantel/metronidazole

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ChrisM
Location 1: Boston, MA, USA

praziquantel/metronidazole

Post by ChrisM »

Does anybody have experience to say praziquantel and metronidazole are ok for the following plecos:

L-66 (or other Hypans)
L-114 (or other -acanthicus)
L-71 or L-59 (not sure... some Ancistrus)

they're in a tank with some Cichlids and a putative Camallanus problem.

thanks... I know I should use levamisole. But, I just want to use what I have. I'll pick some of that up next time I see a farm supply store.
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

I have use metro on L46 without any issues.

I was hoping it would have increase their appetite by killing internal pathogan, but it didn't.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I've not had much luck treating internal parasites with metro, unless the fish would eat it. Edge how warm are you keeping the zebras? I've found they condition in short order at 90 degrees for a few months.

Barbie
BraveHeart007
Location 1: California

Post by BraveHeart007 »

My P. Fowelri has been on praziquantel for over 2 weeks and is doing great. I wish all meds where this safe. I use a 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gals.
ChrisM
Location 1: Boston, MA, USA

Post by ChrisM »

oh, I was just using metro just as an antibiotic. I've heard that the callmanus tears up the intestine fairly well. So, the metro would just be a preventative once and if the worm falls off and leaves the intestinal wall lacerated or something.
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

90f :shock:

I have mine in 82f with a powerhead and a large sponge filter. 2 coconut cave.

I wish people would do a DIY post on building the slate caves. They look perfect for plecos.

I soak the dry food in metro solution before feeding. I am not sure how affective it is though. I pour the solution and the food right into the tank after a few min soaking.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”