Help me raise my young corys please

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
grumpyold
Location 1: Brisbane . Australia
Interests: Fish,Birds,Butterflys

Help me raise my young corys please

Post by grumpyold »

I am breeding Cory narcissus and finding them hard to feed ,in the first few days .

For such a big cory 8cm total length they have a really small egg , there in lies the problem , first food ! .

Sex balance is fair I have 2 males and 3 females but only one female breeds at a time with both males , this produces about 15 eggs at a time , all fertile and deposited beside the sponge filter on the bottom glass panel , I remove them to a raising tank and get a 100% hatch but only 20% make it past 5 days ,can any one help with first food .
The young are snow white for the first 3 weeks then darken up .

I have micro worms ,they eat some .
brine shrimp ,wont touch them .
fine power food ,eat a little.

HELP PLEASE .

Happy cat fish keeping Bob .
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Did you read Ian's post here.

If you have further questions, please post, but I think the above post has most of the answers you need.

--
Mats
grumpyold

Post by grumpyold »

I usualy dont look at stickys , in australia they are shop adds , will learn to look in future .

BOB .
grumpyold

Post by grumpyold »

Read Ian's post, top read .

Use all those methods, any other ideas .any thing .

Regards Bob
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

I think Your diets are just fine, no need to make any changes there.

My guess can only be, that the waterquality drops to poor with your feeding. Make sure to clean up all left over food and droppings, well all the debree you can get your eyes on, before every new feeding.
Also, change 33-50% of the frycontainers water every day with preconditioned water.

Are your brine schrimp newly hatched on feeding?

Best of luck.
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

I feed the corydoras fry microworm for the first 2 weeks and slowly alternate between bbs and microworm feeding after the 1st week.

The spawn is kept in a <5 gallon tank for easier feeding.

At around 3 weeks of age, I will move them into a growout tank with an older spawn and start feeding large quantity of bbs, tetra tablet, and salmon feed.

I feed 3 times a day with a 50% water change before the night feeding.

bbs is given every 2nd day in the morning and afternoon in combination with salmon feed. The tetra tablet is given night.

If they are big enough to eat bbs, than you should stop feeding microworm. Once they are hungry enough, they will start eating bbs.

You will have to becareful when feeding bbs when they are little. bbs can cause their stomach to bloat up and kill them. I mix the younger batch with an older batch of fry to control how much bbs the younger fry can get.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Bob

When you move the eggs do you take the water from the spawning tank as well? this will make sure that the eggs are in exactly the same conditions as they were laid in. It is actually better if the egg hatching container is suspended in the spawning tank, there are various set ups for doing this. The best is a small plastic tank that clips to the side of the spawning tank, one side has a large hole covered in gauze and on the other side a smaller hole that allows a sponge filter outlet to enter the container. This is attached to the container using suckers. The sponge filter creates a constant flow of clean water into the container and the gauze allows for flow through. This keeps the eggs in optimum condition. If food is offered before the fry are free swimming it just decomposes, in the case of brine shrimp it also dies in a short time and starts to foul the water, microworm can be a bigger problem as they will attach to the fry and may even get into the gills and cause damage.

On another point I don't know anyone that has bred C. narcissus and if possible I would be very interested to see pictures of the adults and fry.

Ian
martijn
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Amsterdam

Post by martijn »

Ian,

Can you please provide us (me) in a picture.

Maybe it's my poor English, but i can't sort out what you mean exactly about the setup of the hatching container in the spawning tank.

Bye Martijn
C. Habrosus :-BD
grumpyold

Post by grumpyold »

grumpyold

Post by grumpyold »

Thanks every one for the replys , most helpfull.
As soon as I can work out how to post picturers I will .

How regular are C.barbatus, C.natteri and C,duplicareus spawned in USA. UK. and europe .They breed easy here ,I think the water conditions are very different in Australia, so we can breed different corys here.

True or false C.barbatus is a cold water fish ,why I ask is because a lot of people here say are , I had a spawn 2 weeks back after my water had gone from 32 to 22 and back to 26 and 26 is when they spawned ,they have all so spawned at 29 ,so I think they are not cold water fish , what do you think ?????.

Regards Bob .
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

I don't have a picture of a egg hatchery, but I will make a drawing and post it.

grumpyold
It is now Scleromystax barbatus not Corydoras any more and they are cool water fish. if you keep them at the higher temperatures for any length of time they will suffer. 18º - 20º C is best.

Ian
grumpyold

Post by grumpyold »

Ian another dam name change, I cant keep up with it especialy with cichlids .
These Scleromystax barbatus (what a mouth full) go right through summer here with temps of 26 to 32 and they spawn at heigh temps,is there a lower altitude form ?? .as brisbane is about the same latitude as Rio de janerio

Regards Bob
martijn

Post by martijn »

Hi Ian,

How is the drawing going?

Or are you too busy?

Thanx

:D Martijn
martijn

Post by martijn »

Hi all,

Maybe someone else has a picture or a drawing of a egg hatchery?

greetz Martijn
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Brisbane and Rio the same latitude? Never would have thought that in a million years, but for those interested:

Brisbane 27 29S and 153 8E
Rio de Janeiro 22 57S and 43 12W

go figure! :shock:
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
martijn

Post by martijn »

Coryman wrote:I don't have a picture of a egg hatchery, but I will make a drawing and post it.

Ian
Hi Ian,

If the drawing won't work for you, a sketch will be fine! tongue1

Martijn
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

grumpyold wrote:Ian another dam name change, I cant keep up with it especialy with c*****ds .
These Scleromystax barbatus (what a mouth full) go right through summer here with temps of 26 to 32 and they spawn at heigh temps,is there a lower altitude form ?? .as brisbane is about the same latitude as Rio de janerio

Regards Bob
I'm not saying you're wrong in any of the above, but let me just point out that New York and Madrid (spain) are also the same latitude (roughly speaking), but they have far different climate, even more so if you go a bit inland, of course.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”