breding L103 (clown) plec

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
julian
Location 1: Thatcham west berks uk
Interests: football, rugby, tennis, fish!-tropical and koi

breding L103 (clown) plec

Post by julian »

how easy are they to breed compared to ancistrus?
anyone with experience, really want to breed another species. any hints and tips, the cat e log just says they are cave spawners.

cheers for ur replies
julian

Post by julian »

...............cheers :(
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Well, I just bought two of these. Not sure what sex they are, and definitely not bred them yet...

I suspect they are a bit harder than Ancistrus, but really the main problem with most "hard to breed" Loricariids is to get them well-fed and "happy" in the environment. This means having the right water quality and feeding them the right thing. [I'm talking about this based on what I've read, rather than my own experience]. They also sometimes need a "trigger" to get them going.

There is some breeding info on the Cat-eLog, and it sounds like someone has done it with Panaque Maccus, which I assume you mean when saying Clown Pleco.

I'd say that they are a bit harder to breed than Ancistrus, but not so hard as to be "near impossible".

--
Mats
julian

Post by julian »

cheers m8, how they getting on?, they seem like a kwl fish but...

im stuck as to whether to attempt to breed clown plec maccus or a hypancistrus species namely L66 king tiger or L333. L46 if i had a job...hehehehe. Dont worry guys im not a hobo (homeless guy) its just im only 14 lol.......

anyway, my spidy senses tell me to invest in the L66 as that would eventually result in more shop credit!

im saving for a big tank :D

cheers for ur reply.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

They seem to be getting on OK, but I haven't found a supplemental food that they like yet. My Ancistrus go for Courgett, Cucumber, Sweet Potato, Banana, Grapes, Melon and skin of Baking Potato. So far I've tries Courgette and Apple with the Clowns, and all I've succeded in is to feed the Rosy Barbs that live in the same tank.

I think going for the Hypancistrus would be the better way if you're after shop credit. On the other hand, the investment for Clowns is a bit lower, seeing as you probably need about 3-4 or more to make a good breeding group... But I'm not keeping fish to make money on them, so I don't know.

Since all of these grow pretty slowly, you need to buy reasonably "ready to breed" ones if you want to get quick money back. If you buy the 2" variety, you may well be waiting a year or more before they are ready to breed.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”