Keeping fowleri

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Icthician
Location 1: Maryland, USA

Keeping fowleri

Post by Icthician »

Anyone have experience keeping Corydoras fowleri? There isn't much data in the Catelog.

Thanks[/i]
Picklefish
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: SC, USA
Interests: Africans and Cories

Post by Picklefish »

I would like some info. too. :D
Picklefish

Post by Picklefish »

Anybody ??
EDGE
Location 1: BC, Canada

Post by EDGE »

I keep a pair in a 10 gallon soft slightly acidic water around 71f. They are very aggressive until they pair off.

They have spawned once. 3 fry out of the 30 eggs survived. I wasn't around to look after it. The fry require a lot more food than sterbai fry.
Icthician

Post by Icthician »

Does one sex this species in the typical corydoras fashion; with the female being larger than the male?

Will the fish form their own pair bond? Or can you just put a male and female together to get a pair?

I have about 20 of them and I would like to get rid of them in pairs. Well I had 20 as of last night. There were 30 of them that came in pretty bad. So I loose 2-3 a day unfortunantly.

I'm keeping them in a barebottom 75 gal with an Aquaclear 500 cranked on high. The temp is 80 degrees. They share a tank with a group of Apistogramma and 5 Lasiancistris sp. for now. Their diet consists of blackworms, frozen bloodworms and freeze-dried shrimp.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Isn't 80'F a bit above their ideal temperature? The Cat-eLog (which is indeed limited in information) does give a 21-23'C, which means below 75'F.

Keeping them "hot" if they are already weak isn't going to help much, I would think.

As a general rule, most Cory's like cooler water than the "average" tropical fish. There are a few exceptions to this, but as far as the Cat-eLog goes, this isn't one of them. Of course, I haven't got any experience with this fish, I'm just reading what I can read, and comparing your numebers with the Cat-eLog ones.

--
Mats
Icthician

Post by Icthician »

Thanks MatsP for pointing the correct temperature out to me. I'll lower it today.
EDGE

Post by EDGE »

The cory will die when the water is too warm.

Male are usually smaller than female in length. This is only useful if they came from simliar condition. There are other factors that could change the accuracy of using size to seperate the gender. Ventral fin is still the more accurate way to go. The width of the female (plumpness) isn't as noticeable.

You can put a male and female to pair them off. Until their first spawning, they will remain aggressive toward each other.

I don't know if this is a solid bond between the 2 fish, but they were less aggressive in the tank. I can't tell if they are swimming together as a pair. When I go in to check on them, they are usually at different end of the tank sitting still.

71f = 21c. I keep them at room temperature
Picklefish

Post by Picklefish »

Mine don't seem to be very aggresive at all. I have 8 in a 75G tank with, a bunch of other cories like Aeneus, Burgessi, Simulatus, Septentrionalis, and another or two fish. there are 2 Emp 400 filters on the tank with some sand and 1 piece of wood on the bottom. I do see occasional sparring but the way they look it reminds me more of pre-spawning runs that some of my other cats make before they do the deed. I just want better parameters for them.
EDGE

Post by EDGE »

Cories are only aggressive to their own kind. They will not spar with other type of cories.

Here is a direct link to an article on Shane's world.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/s_c_170.php

Go to category C. It does say long nose cories can be aggressive.

Despite cories being capable of living in almost any condition, most corydoras do come from an soft slightly acidic environment.
Icthician

Post by Icthician »

Thanks for that link! I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”