2 unidentified cats

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Bigfish
Location 1: Sheffield, UK

2 unidentified cats

Post by Bigfish »

hey every1! Im a new here- first post :D ! anyway iv got2 unidentified catfish. hope you can help. (sorry bout the poor pictures)

1st catfish - about 2months old. very active

2nd cat - whiptail

Jeff B.
Location 1: Croatia
Interests: Lnumbers, Corys...

Post by Jeff B. »

First pic is very bad, but my wild guess is pictus from Columbia??
Vedran Stincic
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

The first fish looks like a juvinile Synodontis petricola.

The second is a Loricaria spp. or related Genera, a link to a similar fish is found HERE. As for the exact species of your fish, we'd need alot more information including tooth stuctures and counts, fin ray counts and collection locations. More photos (including one of the mouth) would likely narrow down the Genera though (there are quite few similar types).
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

have to agree photos could be better, the first does look like syno petricola
as pturley says the 2nd type may well be loricaria simillima
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
lemonlimecola
Location 1: Virginia,USA

Post by lemonlimecola »

Your whiptail is very beautiful, how long is it??
^_^ LemonLimeCola
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

thank you for all your replies! I am now sure that the first fish is a Synodontis petricola (sorry about the poor pictures!) thanks pturley! the whiptail is a hard2 to identify though. I got him (or her) from a lfs for £30! was alot of money but a very beautiful fish. unfortunately they couldn't tell me much about the fish so i just researched the general whiptailed species before buying my fish. I'll try and get more pics up soon! thanks for all your help :D !

oh and lemonlimecola my whip tail is just about 8" and still growing at a steady rate!
lemonlimecola
Location 1: Virginia,USA

Post by lemonlimecola »

Thank ya :) Sounds like an awsome addition to your tank :razz: Mine is a mere 4 inches and really skinny, I don't think mine will get larger than 6".
^_^ LemonLimeCola
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Just as a comment...the Syno and the whiptail need totally different water parameters to keep them happy...in case you plan to keep them in one tank its impossible to find a middle way.

@llcola it would be great if you could write in a normal size cauz on a small monitor its almost impossible to read what you write...thx
cheers
Christian
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Yeah im aware of the requirements of these fish! dont worry they are both kept in separte tanks to meet there requirements. and the whiptail will soon be moved into its new 55gallon home once it has cycled :D !

Return to “What is my catfish?”