Don't you just hate it when this happens?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
nonamethefish
Location 1: CA

Don't you just hate it when this happens?

Post by nonamethefish »

well, For the past 2 weeks or so my adult male BN was hiding up in the corner behind the intake tube of the filter. His fins were a bit ragged. I thought he might have been sick or wanted more oxygen, due to the quickness that he returned when I flushed him out.

Then, Yesterday the female Bn pleco decided to show herself and I see this!

*sigh* The petstore won't take one back in exchange either. Wonder where i'll be able to get a female?
davidkozak
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 5
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Wpg

Post by davidkozak »

Been there...before I possessed the knowledge I have now(which isn't necessarily that much more-heh) I bought half a dozen bristlenose that the LFS guy assured me were females....Imagine my surprise a few months later when FIVE of them began to develop bristles on their heads....doh!! :cry:
david
nonamethefish
Location 1: CA

Post by nonamethefish »

Ouch! So is it everyones experience that there are more males than females?

I really bummed in that that LFS is the only place in town that carries Bn's...and that I spent 11 dollars on this *female*!
Caol_ila
My images: 52
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

So is it everyones experience that there are more males than females?
Statistically its quite impossible...:)
cheers
Christian
Rense
Location 1: Lelystad, the netherlands
Interests: catfish ofcourse :D And the other fish from lake tanganyika

Post by Rense »

nonamethefish wrote:Ouch! So is it everyones experience that there are more males than females?

I really bummed in that that LFS is the only place in town that carries Bn's...and that I spent 11 dollars on this *female*!
i don't think there's are more males, I got 3 males and 6 females. Every BN you see over here in the LFS is a female, you can pick a female up if you're somewere in Holland :lol:
flyinmike
Location 1: Ft. Worth, TX USA
Interests: Plecos, plecos, and more plecos

Post by flyinmike »

The presence of bristles doesn't guarantee male. Females can have bristles as well males can show up with little or none. Use other methods to determine, such as the shape/size of the sex organ. There is a very good article on P.C. somewhere. Type breeding plecos in the search box. 8)
Plecos are the true centerpieces of any aquarium. Everything else just swims around them!!

27 members of Loricariidae, 12 different species.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”