Lima skin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Lima skin

Post by Taratron »

What causes lima shovelnose to "shed" their skin? Stress, bad diet? Or is this a good sign?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You are probably thinking of the mucus layer (not the skin), and it's usually due to bad water.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Aha.....so if a mucus layer is shed, it's best to do a nice big water change?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Do a water test before you do so to be sure, but yes, that's the general idea.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I presume you are talking about the white mucus film that you see floating in your tank. Depending on what fish you have in the tank, some fish will eat the mucus. I have kept serveral lima's for many years and mine pretty much just do it when they get spooked or sometime's my largest one does it when he is getting excited while eating. When they get spooked the mucus just seems to come off of the body but sometimes I have seen them shake their body side to side and then the mucus comes off. Every shovelnose I have ever kept does it occaisonally, but it should not be an everyday event. They may do it more often when the water is bad but I do at least weekly water changes on all tanks and water quality is not usually a problem for me. Test kits as said can easily tell you if that's the issue or not.
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

I have 3 limas and all 3 will occasionally shed their mucas layer though never all at the same time, surely if it was a water quality issue then all 3 limas would be shedding at the same time? I am pretty certain that the shedding is more to do with growth of the fish as my 3 always seem to do it shortly after a extended period of growth, this seems to be proved true since my largest lima which is now around 14" now sheds the least often while my smallest which is only 6" is now growing rapidly and sheds most frequently, about once a fortnight. My tank is a 778 litre/205 us gallon which is filtered with 3 eheim classic 2217's and using peat filtration, my water quality is always good with the nitrates below 40ppm and i keep the pH and hardness at levels suitable for amazonian fish by using RO water (pH 6.8 and GH 8 ).

edited to remove annoying smiley 8) that appeard instead of the 8 ) at the end
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”