New C. potaroensis Spawning Movie. Much improved.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

New C. potaroensis Spawning Movie. Much improved.

Post by Coryologist »

Hi all. Hope you enjoy this flick! - Frank/Guppyman

http://www.guppymanguppies.com/planetca ... ning_2.mov
stepchild
Location 1: Burlington,WI USA

Post by stepchild »

An other great moive Frank
BenZz
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: Catfish & Cichlids

Post by BenZz »

nice movie,.. is there a lot of current in the tank? I try breeding my haraldshultzi's, they are grown up but evan after everday 1/3 waterchange they still show no mating behaviour. what could it be?

Maybe my current is too weak. It's a tank full with plants and fine gravel. There only are two specie of cory's and 5 little sturisoma.. The tank is 300 liters . I feed them bloodworms, enchytreas, beefheart, greentabs, mashed cumcumber, black mosquito worms....etc.

Greetz Benzz
Coryologist
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Current

Post by Coryologist »

BenZz wrote:nice movie,.. is there a lot of current in the tank? I try breeding my haraldshultzi's, they still show no mating behaviour. what could it be?

Maybe my current is too weak. It's a tank full with plants and fine gravel. There only are two specie of cory's . The tank is 300 liters . I feed them bloodworms, enchytreas, beefheart, greentabs, mashed cumcumber, black mosquito worms....etc.Greetz Benzz
BenZz: Thanks! Yes, my current is very strong. Trying to breed in a 300 litre tank may be your problem, For all you know they may have spawned many times, with eggs being eaten soon after laying. If they did hatch the chances of the fry not being eaten or sucked into your filtration system are pretty slim. If you want to successfully spawn them, I would suggest isolating them in a 10 G. tank and conditioning them. Your food selection seems more than adequate. I have found that certain species prefer laying their eggs in Java Moss (or a similar plant). My potaroensis certainly seem to prefer it. They eat the eggs laid on the aquarium glass within minutes of depositing them.

I am by no means an accomplished Cory breeder having lost many batches of eggs and fry, but I find that trial and error, as well as excellent advice from members of this Forum will lead to improved success. Good luck! - Frank/Guppyman
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

once again frank u have outdone yourself.. great work indeed.. hope u have better luck with these fry.. and keep those vid clips coming.. absolutely great!!! :D
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

Once again Frank, you've managed to amaze me.

On the topic of the haraldschultzi, they need soft acidic water. Mine always spawned in pH 6.0, TDS 60, and lots of current. They spawn in mops on the bottom of the tank in the current of the filter. Your feedings should work just fine. I didn't mean to hijack the topic, but thought I would give an answer to the problem.

Thanks again Frank,

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Coryologist

Video and Eggs

Post by Coryologist »

madattiver wrote:once again frank u have outdone yourself.. great work indeed.. hope u have better luck with these fry.. and keep those vid clips coming.. absolutely great!!! :D
Thanks. I do believe I'm working through my problems w/fry. Have had about 200 paleatus and aeneus hatch over the past 3 days with about a 95% survival rate - so far. Since they usually die with 20-30 minutes, I'd say that's an improvement. I'm in the process of setting up some hatching tanks w/special water and a box filter w/activated carbon as per Larry's suggestion. Additionally, I am using MB but doing a 50% water change every day so that by the time they eggs hatch, the MB should be all but gone. I hope this works as I was blessed today w/well over 1000 aenues eggs. I just lost about 800 - so Mother Nature is giving me another shot. Also, besides the potaroensis, I have managed to pull about 30 duplicareus eggs and it looks like the barbatus are ready again. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :-) Again, thanks for the kind words. - Frank/Guppyman
Last edited by Coryologist on 26 Feb 2004, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

wow frank... u are having quite the productive fish to give u so many eggs.. and chances to raise the fry... keep us updated on the progress of fry raising.. i am sure i am not the only one wanting to hear your results :D
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

pl*co_breeder wrote:Once again Frank, you've managed to amaze me. I didn't mean to hijack the topic, but thought I would give an answer to the problem. Thanks again Frank. - Larry Vires
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate it - and no problem with adding your knowledge to the post. Like I said - my experience is limited and I'm sure your additional info was most helpful to BenZz. - Frank
Coryologist

Egg Production

Post by Coryologist »

madattiver wrote:wow frank... u are having quite the productive fish to give u so many eggs.
I had about 15 large adults in a 10 G. They laid eggs on 3 sides, so I moved them. Within an hour they laid the same amount in the new tank, so I had to move them again. I'm afraid to look in the 3rd tank. These are truly the largest albino aeneus I have ever seen and when other people see them they are amazed at their size. Of course I hear that about my female g*ppies, too. :-) I'll keep you posted. - Frank

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”