19 yr old bumble bee akysis has blown up like a balloon

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Paula
Location 1: Los Angeles

19 yr old bumble bee akysis has blown up like a balloon

Post by Paula »

My 19 yr old Bumble bee akysis has suddenly blown up like a balloon. She's still alive and upright but not hanging out in her cave. Any ideas what happened? Just old age? Any ideas what to try for treatment? I have never seen anything like this before. Thanks for any help!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What are your water parameters?
Tank setup and size?
Paula

Post by Paula »

The tank is 20 gallons. There is an angel fish, 3 loaches, and an African frog. A penguin filter w/ bio wheel, extra aeration which forms a little current, lots of plants - nothing has changed. I feed frozen brine shrimp.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I checked ph and hardness again. It has been consistently about 7.2 and the water is hard.
Paula

Post by Paula »

After searching this site for more info, I think I may have incorrectly ID'd my fish. It looks like Microglanis iheringi. It is exactly 3" long, though, which is larger than the descriptions I've found. Since it is still in the same condition, I considered euthanizing it; however, when I lifted it out of the water in the net, it started making such intense vocalizations, I felt compelled to put it back in the tank. I was so surprised! After all these years, I never knew it had a voice.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

How have you been feeding it? Microglanis are very prone to overeating and getting obese.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I have been feeding just the usual frozen brine shrimp; however, there has been more food available since I moved a couple of other fish into a different tank.

Is it possible that a fish could get so fat that it would look as inflated as a puffer? In the past she had eaten several cardinal tetras per night before I figured out what was happening and she never looked anything like this! The entire stomach area looks like a balloon.

I put her in an isolation tank and I haven't fed anything for the last couple of days because it looks like she's ready to burst and I've been assuming this fish is too sick to eat. Even so, it was still not easy to catch her in the net because she's still fast moving if necessary.
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Is it possible that a fish could get so fat that it would look as inflated as a puffer
Sure, especially with Microglanis. The fact that the fish is still pretty fast is a sign that that it may not be sick at all.
Paula

Post by Paula »

The fish is also breathing more rapidly than normal, which looks like a sign of stress and discomfort. So should I offer any food at all? How long can I withhold food?
MackIntheBox
Location 1: Dallas, TX

Post by MackIntheBox »

well fed catfish can go for weeks without food :)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
The Doctor (Robot, 1974/5)
TheSlackersLounge Home for Slackers ;)
SLAP, SLAP, SQUISH! (Penny-Arcade)
catfishcrazy
Location 1: LONDON UK

Post by catfishcrazy »

Without being rude here is there anything wrong with the fishes anus? A few months ago my white line pim started to swell up and a yellow jelly like sack started to protrude from it anus, after a week or so i eventually burst the sack and "milked" a large ammount of yellow watery liquid from the fish. I never found out what the problem was but my actions certainly saved my fish which is still with us now.
if you believe in reincarnation pray you dont come back as a neon
Paula

Post by Paula »

That's a good question. I've been wondering if there is some sort of obstruction; however, nothing is visible externally. The condition appears to be growing worse. I've written to the fish pathologist at UC Davis in northern California to see if he has any ideas.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I remembered an article from the LA Times and checked their archives. I found it in the 1.14.89 edition, "Getting the Point Acupuncturists Give the Needle to Ailing Fish." I decided to give it a try. Since both of the doctors mentioned in the article are no longer available, with the help of my Chinese-speaking girlfriend, I tracked down a doctor who was willing, and very interested, in taking a look at the fish.

The doctor and his wife came to our home on Friday night. His diagnosis: no infection of any kind, but, not surprisingly, degenerative problems resulting from advanced age. He did do an acupuncture treatment on the fish and left the needles in. By Saturday afternoon, they fell out on their own. He returned early this morning(Sunday) to do a second treatment.

He inserted two tiny needles (the kind they use for ears) next to the spine,one in front of, and one just behind, the dorsal fin. Then he used a tiny regular syringe to draw fluid and air out of the distended abdomen(today only). The fish did not make any sounds during any of the procedures. She looks considerably better, but I'm not expecting any miracles.

The doctor suggested we wait a few days and then do a third treatment. If there isn't enough positive change after that, then we will stop. I was comfortable with trying acupuncture since both my dogs have responded very well to Traditional Chinese Medicine and actually seem to enjoy the treatments. They become very relaxed.

At this point, I am not counting on saving the fish; however, I thought it would be interesting to see what happens and you never know how something you learn in one area can apply to something else.

Right now, the fish, with two tiny needles still attached, appears to be resting comfortably under a rock ledge.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sunday night the second set of needles fell out on their own. Monday the fish did not look that much different. By Tuesday morning, however, the fish had returned almost completely to it's original size and her breathing had returned to normal. By today, Wednesday, the fish is back to it's regular shape.

She is not interested in eating, however. Today I put some little feeder guppies in the tank to see if I could entice her. Maybe it's too soon to eat or maybe she's not going to eat. Whatever happens, it has been an amazing transformation considering that, at her worst, she was upside down and gasping for air, and so extremely bloated she looked like she would burst.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I have just returned from the doctor's office. I brought the fish to him this time for the third, and last, acupuncture treatment. After speaking with him yesterday over the phone, he felt it was worth trying. After this, there is nothing left to do.

This time he put three needles in between the dorsal and, I believe it's called, adipose fin. This is the first time I actually watched him do it. The needles go in just under the surface of the skin, parallel to the body, and remain there.

While the fish is now more active and looking so much better, it still hasn't eaten and is looking a little thin. Does anyone have any ideas about getting her to eat? (My husband has been teasing me about getting her a little IV tube.)
Paula

Post by Paula »

The catfish has been back in her regular tank for two days and has returned to the little rock cave she has lived in all her life. Behavior and movement are normal, but still, no eating. I have frequently hand fed this fish. When I offer food now, she approaches but doesn't take it.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

best of luck to you and the catfish...This treatment is very interesting. Keep us posted please!
Pectorale
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: punkrock and metal,read fantasy (Robin Hobb ought to win the first Nobelprize for fantasy) and aquaria of course

Post by Pectorale »

When I offer food now, she approaches but doesn't take it.

I wouldn't worry too much over that, from what you wrote I gather the fish has has a few traumatic experiences in the last few days, just let it recover for a week or so. If it gets real hungry it will come and eat but as I've come to learn the hard way, sometimes leaving the fish in peace is the best medicine.
'Man will never be free until the last king is
strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784
Paula

Post by Paula »

That is exactly what I have decided to do - just leave her alone. This fish has been through so much, I am marvelling that it is still alive.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Each evening I have been offering two types of food: frozen brine shrimp and a wafer for bottom feeders. The brine shrimp sort of stick together in a ball when they first thaw.

Last night was the first time I have seen the fish move directly toward the food and actually take the clump of brine shrimp into her mouth; however, I was disappointed to see it drop right back out again. It appeared as though the desire to eat was there, but, for some reason, it just didn't happen. Although she is still very gradually growing thinner, she remains active.
Paula

Post by Paula »

For the last two days the fish has actually eaten. The first night it ate a small amount of brine shrimp and then the following evening it ate enough to make the stomach area become rounded out again. It had been looking shriveled after not having eaten for a month.

I am so amazed! I have always kept and, sometimes, bred fish and I have never experienced anything like this before. I'm hoping she can continue to recover without further problems.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Eleven days ago, after two months of normal, healthy behavior, appetite and appearance, my fish's abdomen started to become distended again. Within three days it was blown up like a water-filled balloon. Breathing has been rapid and I have not seen her eat since this latest problem began.

The acupuncturist said he didn't know if he would be able to help again. I'm sure he would try, but the cost of ongoing treatment would be very expensive. I decided to try withdrawing the fluid myself. I used an insulin syringe and obtained about 3cc of fluid and returned the fish to the tank.

Within three days, she was bloated once more. I repeated the procedure again and then a third time tonight. This last time, I only took 1cc of fluid, just enough to relieve the pressure. It is very quick and only takes a few seconds to do. When I put the fish back in the tank, she is able to swim normally and just goes right back under her rock.

I am assuming this time is worse than the last and that it must be the near the end of this resilient little fish's life.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Well, I am sad to say, that my little fish has finally died. Yesterday, she had actually begun to look much better; respiration and body size were returning to normal. I knew that the chances for a second recovery were slim; but I was still hoping.

Late in the evening, I noticed the same weak breathing that occurs in humans and other animals when they're near death. She also became slightly pale. I said good-by with tears in my eyes and apologised in case I had hurt her in any way in my attempts to help. It is always such a difficult thing: trying to decide where to draw the line, how far to go.

I have never really had any kind of attachment to a fish before. This one had travelled with me across the country in a pail, stopping at motels along Route 66 for partial water changes. I had purchased it on a freezing day in February in Cambridge, Massachusetts and walked home with it under my jacket. When I moved to Los Angeles, the fish, along with all my other animals, came too.

I had no idea we would have nearly 20 years together.
lucy
Location 1: uk

Post by lucy »

oh paula im so sorry for your loss
20 years is a long time to have any animal as a companion
take comfort in the fact that you did absolutely everything you could have done and more
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lucy, thankyou so much for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.
dag
Location 1: Calgary , Alberta , Canada

Post by dag »

Paula
I am so sorry to hear of your friends death . You spent a lot of years together and you must be hurting now . It sounds to me like you did much to try to ease this creatures ills and your kindness in her final time was an absolute good . The pets that share our lives will enevitably pass before we do but it is testemony to our love and desire to nurture that we wouldn't give up the chance to live with them again for anything .
keep well
dag
?In relation to animals, all people are Nazis; for [them] it is an eternal Treblinka.?
? Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991), Yiddish writer and vegetarian
Paula

Post by Paula »

dag, Itâ??s so good to hear from kindred spirits, thankyou.

Two nights after the fish died, I was quite surprised by a dream I had in which I was standing beside a deep stream gazing into the water. The stream began to overflow its banks and as it became more clear and shallow, I could easily see into the water. It was filled with all kinds of large and beautiful catfish. There among them was my little bumblebee, now at least two feet long, healthy and vigorous and swimming happily with all the others.
dag
Location 1: Calgary , Alberta , Canada

Post by dag »

Oh boy , that story brings tears to my eyes . 3 years ago Kate , my golden retriever , my golden child , died as a result of terminal illness . I was awash in sadness and a sense of overpowering guilt at not being able to help one whom I was responsible to nurture and care for . There were no answers for me at that time despite friends and family being there 150% . One night , about a month after her death , I was in bed , in that place not awake and not fully asleep when I felt something enter my room . Rupert , my big labX jumped awake and looked , with total clarity and calmness around the room . I felt complete and at peace , I knew Kate was there , and Rupert , who had suffered greatly in the weeks since her death put his head on my stomach , let out a great sigh , and fell back to sleep . It is clear to me that kate wanted to make sure that we were okay and let us know that she was also alright . From that day on things started to get better and I was able to start forgiving myself and working thru the grief . In retrospect , I knew that Kate had probably been coming to me trying to get thru ever since her death , but as lost and closed off as i was , I could not recieve her . I do not know if others experience the depth of relaxation that I usually do just at that awake/asleep time but during that awful period of loss it was the only time she would be able to make contact with me . She kept trying until I was ready to hear . I believe that these amazing creatures come into our lives for a purpose , and , when it is time for them to leave , it is impossible for them to go , without knowing we will be okay . They watch over us from the other side with the same compassion and love as we gave during their stay . I am certain that your dream was your friends way of helping you move through this time in your life . They never stop caring , and they are always there .
?In relation to animals, all people are Nazis; for [them] it is an eternal Treblinka.?
? Isaac Bashevis Singer (1904-1991), Yiddish writer and vegetarian
Paula

Post by Paula »

Here is a picture of the fish with the acupuncture needles in place. The doctor emailed it to me this week. He took the photo in his office during the third and final treatment after the fish had returned to normal size.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”