can carbon affect water chemistry ?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pete
Location 1: North Wales UK
Interests: fish, motorbikes

can carbon affect water chemistry ?

Post by pete »

I had a problem that the pH dropped from 7 to 6 and the KH went from 3 to zero and dropped again even after adding KH buffer ( Kent marine pH stable).
The only thing different was that I used carbon granules (in the external filter) from a different shop.

I removed the carbon and did a water change and everything is OK now.
I now wont use carbon, is it possible for carbon to lower pH ?
Pete
sjogren1
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by sjogren1 »

Are you certain that they were carbon only? Peat granules will affect pH, but I have not heard of carbon doing much more than reducing DOC and removing trace minerals. If there were unknowns mixed in with carbon, who knows?
** Roger S. **
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Pete,

Carbon is often given an acid wash at the manufacturer to get rid of impurities. I would assume that you just got a bad batch which was not properly rinsed afterward.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
pete
Location 1: North Wales UK
Interests: fish, motorbikes

Post by pete »

thanks for replies it was definately the carbon as the pH is stable now after taking it out. :D
I have always used carbon to keep the water clear, as there is bogwood in tank
I wont chance using it again as the fish got stessed out and I lost one angelfish :(
But they are all OK now :D
Pete

Return to “Tank Talk”