troubles with banjo's - advice wanted

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
perrush
Location 1: Belgium
Interests: tabletennis, Aquaria

troubles with banjo's - advice wanted

Post by perrush »

Hi,

about those 14 banjo's I brougth with me from that wholesaler that had gone broke.

They were in pretty bad condition when they got here, having got no food for at least 2 weeks (probably 4), having been in cold water (20 - 22 °C) for a day or 3.

The first 2 weeks they went into a sort of community tank, so I don't think they found a lot of food in there. When I examined them after those two weeks, they were still very thin with shallow (?) bellys. I thought they wouldn't make it al all.

Last week I putted them into a species tank. Feeding them frozen red bloodworms. They became much more active and learned very quickly when it was feeding time :P . After 2 days they all came feeding at the dish which I installed, nice, creepy sight :D

But today I saw at least 7 (probably 10) had this weird belly. It's swollen at lot. I catched one and the belly felt very soft. I haven't seen any fishdroppings in the tank yet.

I think I stop feeding for the next days, maybe I've overdone it.
Can I do someting at this point ?? (raising temp ? it's 26 °C now)

Does anyone recon this ???

I took a pic, should make it much more clear.

Don't tell me these little suckers will pass on me :cry:
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, they liked the bloodworm! Just don't feed them for a week or so and then only flake food for a little while. I think they should be OK if you just let them settle in and don't fuss to much.

Jools
perrush

Post by perrush »

Jools wrote:Well, they liked the bloodworm!
well I really hope it's just that.

when I typed "swollen belly + fish" in google you get real nasty articles :?

Not that I think back.
In that community tank 3 out od 6 ancistrus died after introducing the banjo's. 2 without any signs, a third one was very thin and had sunken eyes ... :( ... But she was that way for a long time already (I think she was just old, but I'm not sure)

... Well let's hope for the best.
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

perrush wrote:
Jools wrote:Well, they liked the bloodworm!
well I really hope it's just that.
when I typed "swollen belly + fish" in google you get real nasty articles :?
... Well let's hope for the best.
Hi,
I used to keep the banjos since years and they all have swollen bellies from time to time. I just dont't really know, where this comes from (food, air, trying to get rid of the skin?).
But nothing to be scared about!
Klaus
perrush

Post by perrush »

[quote="kdreymann
Hi,
I used to keep the banjos since years and they all have swollen bellies from time to time. I just dont't really know, where this comes from (food, air, trying to get rid of the skin?).
But nothing to be scared about!
Klaus[/quote]

hi,

nice inside observation :)
let's hope this is the same 'thing. Still I find it weird, unnatural.

btw ... how many did you keep ? and did you aver get a spawn ? which waterparameters did they live in ?
kdreymann
Location 1: Berlin

Post by kdreymann »

perrush wrote: let's hope this is the same 'thing. Still I find it weird, unnatural.
btw ... how many did you keep ? and did you aver get a spawn ? which waterparameters did they live in ?
I keep four species of banjos and three or four of each.
No, they never spawned here. :(
They live in different waters - mostly 26-27°C, pH about 7 and from 500 µS - 1400 µS.
See you
Klaus
perrush

Post by perrush »

update

--

The banjo's are doing very well. All still live and are very active.

Sometimes they have that swollen belly again but I think it's from the feeding. They eat anything that comes in range ... as quickly as possible :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”