Is a 10 Gallon Aquarium Too Small For Bristle Nose Breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Is a 10 Gallon Aquarium Too Small For Bristle Nose Breeding

Post by ClayT101 »

As the topic states, is a 10 gallon aquarium too small to breed bristle noses? I also have a 110 gallon that the fry could go in after they reach 2 cm.

Thanks,
Clay
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

Barbie is going to freak!!!

I still have my 4 pairs of bristlenose in a 10gal and the males are constantly sitting on eggs. I pull around 150 fry out a month. It works for me at the moment.

Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

LOL Hazard, I won't freak, I pointed out the other day anyone is allowed to kill any fish they put in their glass boxes any way they see fit ;). I know its working for you, but I also know that spreading out that bioload would work too. A power failure that might cause me to lose a fish or two, will probably kill all of your breeders. For me, that's not an option I can afford to entertain, hence, I split them up.

I actually spawned my first pair of ancistrus in a 10 gallon tank. He let one batch of fry out of the cave and I played hell keeping water parameters up to snuff without starving the fry. I upgraded them to a 20 gallon long after that, and never looked back. I only allow one batch of fry to stay with him at a time, the others are taken as soon as I see one escape his pot.

Moral of the story is, you can do it, but you have to seriously overload the biocapacity of the tank volume, so it can be a serious tragedy if you have any sort of system failure. I never said it can't be done, I warned it could have some pretty serious consequences, is all.

Now go buy another tank to split them up in hazard :p You could also probably get rid of a couple of the males. The females will only spawn with the dominant ones anyway, no? That would also lessen the load in the tank.

Barbie
ClayT101

Post by ClayT101 »

hazard wrote:I still have my 4 pairs of bristlenose in a 10gal and the males are constantly sitting on eggs.
Do you use gravel, or is it bare bottomed?
It's True! It's True!

hazard

Post by hazard »

I use a little gravel on the bottom of the tank. I have a whisper 60 on the tank and air stone in there for added oxygen. I have since divided the group. I left the largest pairs in the ten. I will report back how that works out for me.

Chris
spikythefish
Location 1: nyob, USA

Post by spikythefish »

whisper60, little much for a 10 gallon, dont you think?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Not for spawning ancistrus, it wouldn't be, no.

Barbie
ClayT101

Post by ClayT101 »

Update: I just got a 20 gallon long that has been cut in half so it is only 7 inches high. When I got it, I thought it was longer than a normal 20 gallon, but now I realize it is the same length (30 inches X 12 inches). I bought it specifically to spawn my bristlenoses. What would be the best way to set it up?

Should I use gravel?
Strong/weak/no current?
Temp?
Lighting (I assume not much, maybe 6-8 hours per day)?

Any advice / experience would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Clay
It's True! It's True!

Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I use bare tanks, so I can keep them clean easier. Lots of flow, and aeration, with frequent water changes. I turn the tank volume over 12-15 times per hour. I personally leave the lights on most of the time, since it just grows algae...

They aren't all that difficult to spawn. You'll see :) It's raising the fry that is the work, IMO.

Barbie
hazard

Post by hazard »

I agree with raising the fry. What a pain. I loose quite a few out of every batch. Maybe even 50%. I have noticed that I get a redish-white sore on the plecos body. I had a episode of this with my breeding group in July. I ended up loosing 4 adults. I ended up treating with maryacn and that cleared it up. I just got done treating my 4 tanks with pleco in it. My loses have decline alot but I notice some still have the sores.

good luck
Chris
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I MIGHT lose one or two per batch now. Big water changes and lots of them, in a tank big enough to allow you to get enough food to them makes a HUGE difference. I do take most batches of fry from the tank and raise them in hanging neat breeders with constant flowing water through them from the sponge filters. It works well, and I can feed them enough that way, without risk of polluting the tank. I hang them in the 55 gallon my sterbai spawn in constantly.

A brand new 20 gallon long would be 30 dollars or a bit less. The water volume would allow you to raise twice the fry in it, its not hard to do the math ;)

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”