Striped raphael catfish diet

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
turtle lover
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Metro Manila
Location 2: Rizal

Striped raphael catfish diet

Post by turtle lover »

May somebody give me ideas on what to feed striped raphael catfish? I am running out of ideas. I am either feeding it frozen bloodworms, sinking pellets, and sometimes small pieces of dead fishes and krill. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to feed live prey to my fishes by the way.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Striped raphael catfish diet

Post by Bas Pels »

Mine have had for the last 25 years dried pellets

I bought them because feeding several kinds of Hikari floating pellets the cichlids crushed these pellets and parts came out of their gills, which were ignored by the cichlids. Later I started feeding Tetra cichlid sticks, along with Hikari

Later still, I fed Sera discus granulate and Sera Vipagran, both sinking pellets.

I never fed them frozen (and thawed) things, but 1 night they made 30 platies (@ 2-3 cm) disappear (after spending months in the same tank), and 10 years later they made 20 Moenkhousia @ 4 cm disappear.

feeding life prey is not forbidden here, and I have nothing against it (in fact I fed other fishes with life fishes) but I never fed it to the Platydoras. They will eat anything, just make certain they get enough
cats have whiskers
turtle lover
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Metro Manila
Location 2: Rizal

Post by turtle lover »

Oh live food is forbidden for me.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

Mine eat anything meat based but I do supplement them by only feeding veggie pellets/disks some nights. I feed many different kinds of pellets, discs, frozen and gel foods.

I have a striped Raphael and a spotted one housed with 3 plecos, 3 loaches, a red tail shark and 4 Synos. I try to always throw in a few more pellets after the lights have been out for a couple hours, as my Raphs are VERY light shy (they will not even come out when the blue light is on) so I know they are eating. The synos are hogs (seriously the Alberti has a double chin) so I want to make sure the 2 pokey ones get their share.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”