Substrate for C. arcuatus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Mooncaller
Location 1: Santa Rosa California
Interests: Math, botany, pastal art, Science Fiction, and freshwater and brackish enviroments

Substrate for C. arcuatus

Post by Mooncaller »

I have recently found refuge from unemployment at a local Aquatics store. I have kept fish, as a hobbiest for over 30 years. I can usualy spot an unhappy fish. We have a tank full of C. arcuatus (sp?). They do not look particularly happy. All water parameters are adequate, though the temp is a little high for some corys ( 27C). I am concerned that the substrate is not appropriate for this species. It consists of large ( >1cm diamater) rounded gravel that is dark red in color. I personaly would never use anything like this in a tank, especialy one for small fish, but the former manager and team did. I have noticed, in the past, that some corys are a bit particular about the substrate they are laying on. In particular, many years ago, I had some C. paleatus in a tank with standard #1 gravel with rough edges. The C. aeneus had little problem with it, but the paleatus were not thriving. I eventualy moved them to a planted river tank with a sand substrate were they florished. I am having trouble finding information on the prefered substrate for many corys. On a side note, moving the fish is not an option right now. Too many of the tanks have problems that need fixing. If the substrate is the problem, I will move changing it to a higher position on my priority list.

The behavior ( excuse my spelling, but I had a very long day) that I am noticing is A) some individuals spend an unusual amount of time off the bottom B) the entire fleet is grouped *very* close together( I realise that any cory marked like arcuatus will be an intense schooler, but this is ridiculous, individuals are stacked up on top of each other like juvenile Botia macracanthus!), C) the school is not moving around the tank ( except at feeding time) and D) their color is not as bright as it should be ( we have had this group for over a week, long enough to get over transportaion stress). I have pretty much ruled out parasites, though I will be placing some C.aeneus in the tank as a diagnostic ( this species seems to do well on anything that is not too sharp). One more note; I have been feeding the corys a sinking pellet that is 50% shrimp and 50% spirolina and the hikari sinking waffer alternatly.

I have noticed that most people, even some hobbiest, can't see the difference between a happy fish and one that is being stressed. But I can, and I want the fish that I send home with a customer to be in the best shape that I can manage. I find it distressing to work with a customer who is expressing an interest in a cool fish, that is stressed by something that I can't identify.
An aquarium without catfish is like a rockband without a bass player!
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

We have had a poll in the past discussing substrate for corys i think it was going to be put in the FAQ section.

Use the search for "best substrate for corys" all points have been discussed there.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

As Magnum4 says the subject has an does come up quite often, but for what its worth my opinion is, very fine smooth grained gravel or sand.

Ian
Mooncaller
Location 1: Santa Rosa California
Interests: Math, botany, pastal art, Science Fiction, and freshwater and brackish enviroments

Post by Mooncaller »

Thanks for the info regarding the Substrate topic. I have only just discovered "Planet Catfish" two days ago. Yesterday was the first time looking at the forums. The tanks at the store I work for are a bit of a mess. I have been working very hard to correct things. Saturday is a very busy day. My knowledge and experience is becoming known to our customers, so I am often the one they come to for answers. That leaves little time to diagnose and correct problems. By the time I got home and cooked dinner for my son and myself, I was very, very tired. I did not even notice the forum search feature. I apologize for asking such a basic question.

I added some finer river gravel to the tank with the C. arcuatus today. I was unable to find time to do any real observations afterwords. I will go in tomorow ( my day off) to check up on them. I might end up swaping them with the C. aeneus, whos tank has a far more suitable substrate. I wish I had the time to realy fix the substrate, but I have over 100 other tanks with issues. I am still in a reactive mode. The good side of this is that I am getting our customers more interested in corys. More are buying small schools instead of single fish. My next task is to move our adult C. zygatus into a larger tank. Someone put 25 of these guys in a 20g ( and labled the C. aeneus!) Thats no way to keep them. How can the customers witness cory dynamics when the poor things have no room to move, let alone school. At least they are healthy.
An aquarium without catfish is like a rockband without a bass player!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”