Snail-eating Catfish (small)

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Snail-eating Catfish (small)

Post by Beersnob »

All,

I have started up a 20-gallon tank :D and will need to start paring the snail population down soon :P . I was leaning towards loches (Botia) that were 3-4 inches in total length. But I am hopeful that there is a similar type of species of catfish that would remove the vermin as well as the Botia do :P .
Does anyone know what type of catfish I am looking for? I am hopeful that the experience :idea: on the Forum will give me:

1) Suggested Species
2) Issues with Suggested Species
3) and most importantly Suggested Sources (internet/books) that would assist me in this endeavor.

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I don't think that there are any catfish suitable for a tank your size. Smaller doradids might do it, but there is no guarantee that they will eat the snails. See this post.
Beersnob
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Silurus wrote:I don't think that there are any catfish suitable for a tank your size. Smaller doradids might do it, but there is no guarantee that they will eat the snails. See this post.
Can you be more specific about the doradids species? I'll check the list here. If there are other sources that may assist me please let me know.

Thanks for the assist.
Beersnob

Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

To cut to the chase, no small catfish will do this job reliably for you. Stick to Botia such as Botia striata. Or try Carinotetraodon travancoricus, if you can find it.

Dinyar
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

My L-07 Leprocanthus galaxiasand L-264 plecos do and excellent job on eliminating snails. I drop handfulls of them that I pull out of other tanks in with these fish, all the snails are gone in a week.

They max out at about 6-8" so I guess it depends on what you call small!? Takes quite a while to get there though.

Regarding removing snails "AS WELL AS BOTIA DO" they do better. In two plus years my Leprocanthicus haven't outgrown their taste for mollusk, while the Botia nigrolineata I have quit feeding on snails within a year.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Dinyar
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I'm not sure I'd recommend for a 20 gallon, though it wold be doable with juvenile fish. And not all Botias do equally well with snails.

Here is an excerpt from a recent thread:
JohnnyOscar wrote:Other than puffers, are there any snail-eating (or snail egg-eating) fish that might help to control those pesky little red snails skyetone described?
Dinyar wrote:Yeah, lots. Just speaking of the ones I have in my tanks, has cleaned out all the snails from my Lake Tanganyika tank, may (or may not) have something to do with keeping them down in my South American tank and Botia striata has performed yeoman's service in one of my Asian tanks.

One of my favorite snail eaters is Carinotetraodon travancoricus (a puffer, but a tiny one the size of a pea). A very cool fish.

Dinyar
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Thanks for your input.

I have another issue that you might be able to assist me with. Will the pH in my tank drop (become more acidic) when the Botia eat the snails? I need to ask this question because the acid levels have increased in my tank and I have not changed anything other than the power filter (From Tetratec to Fluval cannister type). Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Beersnob

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 890
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 423
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Will the pH in my tank drop (become more acidic) when the Botia eat the snails?
No.
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Silurus wrote:
No.
Silurus,

The decomposition of the empty shells does not create more acid in the tank?
Beersnob

StiffMeister
Location 1: North of the Netherlands
Interests: duh....

Post by StiffMeister »

u can always take a Tetraodon biocellatus... its not a cat but it is small and will eat snails like no other. only problem is when all the snails are gone...
Dinyar

Post by Dinyar »

Beersnob wrote:
Silurus wrote:
No.
Silurus,

The decomposition of the empty shells does not create more acid in the tank?
You have it backwards. To build their shells, snails remove calcium from the water, potentially making it more acidic; when they die, the calcium is gradually released back into the water, serving as a buffer.
ted
Location 2: lancashire

Re: Snail-eating Catfish (small)

Post by ted »

try adding some coral grit to your tank it will help with ph i use it and its fine it never goes up or down stays at a constant level unless you do a part water change then it goes up slightly you only need a couple hand fulls and thats it i hope this helps
ted
Location 2: lancashire

Post by ted »

there is another solution have you ever thought of snail eating snails i found these at my local aqurists they are only a couple of pound or in dollars about 3 dollars so its not to bad but in my opinion i never thought botias would raise ph levels eating snails but try and find them snail eating snails they are black and white shelled snails hope this helps :d :d
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

ted wrote:hope this helps
It certainly won't for Beersnob; last time he visited was in 2006......
Why dig up these old postings?
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Hahahahahhahahaha!

I wonder what happened with his snails, my spotted doras have always eaten the snails in my tanks.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Catfishy
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:13)
Location 2: United Kingdom

Post by Catfishy »

Well I need help with my snails!

Its has now turned into a daily job that i have to wipe the walls of my tank to clear off the tiny white dots that are the baby snails, adults are removed on sight. I have found them clogging up my filter which brought on a full scale clean and scrub down of my tank, plants and ornaments but still they appear! I was told that gouramis would eat the baby snails of the glass so i moved my gourami into the tank, they have been in there for 4 months now and not once have i seen them peck at anything on the glass. I bought a yoyo loach but he wasn't interested either. My next step will be to get an assassin snail but my only worry is that they to will breed exponentially and il end up with a plague of them instead. Can anyone help
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Assassin snails will breed based on the food available. Once the good source begins to reduce, they will also stop reproducing. I found that once there were no snails to eat, the assassins began to die off slowly. Assassins are definitely the best choice.
~~~~<"))))<~~~~
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Hi,

The yoyo loach I had was a snail killing machine but only if tastier food wasn't on offer he was also a complete git once he got 1/2 way to full size and decided other fish were food.

Clown loaches can have an impact, dwarf chain loach is not effective but does slow them down a little.

You could try a dora some eat snails along with a handful of others but here is a far better idea.

This applies to me mainly but suspect many others and it cut down my snail problem by about 1/2 in 2 weeks.

Step 1 - Look at how much you are feeding.
Step 2 - Switch to less messy foods and reduce feeding slowly.
Step 3 - Watch your fishes bellies check they don't start getting slim
Step 4 - Clean the gravel to make sure no food is in it
step 5 -Snails come up on mass as they are hungry remove by hand.
Step 6 repeat constantly this is a war you will never win without resorting to masses of loaches or chemical warfare.

They sell snail traps but I found the main driving force behind my problem was excess food in the tanks. I still have to many MTS for my liking but I am not willing to buy 4-5 clown loaches and play the game of every 6 months - 1yr swapping them over at a lfs for credit to buy smaller ones.
Catfishy
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:13)
Location 2: United Kingdom

Post by Catfishy »

Thanks guys i will take that advice on board.
amiidae
My images: 547
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 179
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

I use this to clear snails in my tanks.
http://www.tankscape.co.uk/shrimp/gench ... 0g-Shrimp-
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/

Return to “Tank Talk”